Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you go about formatting win2k? Can you use win98 boot disk? win2k boot disks?
I aquired a win2k pro disk from someone and what a difference from win98, I like 2k alot better.
He said that he doesn't use any anti-virus software. if he gets a virus he just formats and re-installs. I went two weeks then picked up a virus (should have put McAfee back on). Well he moved and cannot get in touch with him. The virus came from a newsgroup where I get MP3's, not the win 2000 disk.
I'd like to wipe clean and start over.
Thanks for your help in advance.

As you ride the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome,

While Win2k is more stable it still needs virus & firewall protection. :)

You can reformat/repartition your drive off of the Win2000 CD, after you agree to the EULA (F8) in the install menu it will bring up a screen where you select the partition to install to, but if you highlight the partition and press 'D then L' I think it will erase the partition.(It will tell you in the text above the box what button to hit to erase the current partition)

Once its erased it will show up as "unpartitioned space" in the text box below... simply select it hit enter or "c" and when it asks you how you want it formated answer NTFS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I understand the NTFS is more secure that FAT or FAT32. But I don't know why, or how.
I really don't run old programs on this computer so NTFS is the way to fly?
After I reinstall the first thing is to put antivirus back on and I behind a linksys router with nat built-in. for a firewall.

·
Registered
225 Posts
after you get eveything done you might consider partitioning your HD and using ghost.

And I totally agree that you should still use a firewall and antivirus with Win2k. Just because it is so stable doesn't mean that you can't still get a virus and having to redo your system all the time kinda sucks too.

Good luck,

Laffctx

·
Registered
28 Posts
I second that having to reformat again and again does suck. I have had to do it about 4 times in the last month or so. I have finally learned to put a firewall and nortons antivirus on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.