Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this board, this is my first post. Please bear with my long story:

I used to have my Windows XP on my c: drive, and all my backup and photos etc. on my d: drive (both 80GB drives). Then a while back, I upgraded my Home Edition to Pro Edition. I did a boot-install, and of course I got the warnings that all data could be lost etc. I had previously saved My Documents and everything else important to my d: drive, so it was ok.

SO the OS was successfully installed, but strangely My Documents, and everything is still there. The directory structure is intact, with all my Program Files folders still there with files within. Even stranger to me is that when I go to Ctrl Panel, and Add/Remove Programs, there is NOTHING in the list.

Since I didn't have time to deal with this, I installed XP Pro on my d: drive, and have been operating solely on d: since then. I've been trying to format c: drive every way I know how so I can use it as the storage drive, but it won't let me. Can anyone help me? WOuld really appreciate any response! Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

if you are willing to format your C drive then I assume you are willing to lose all data which may reside on your C drive currently ????

if this is correct / then donwload and run this program (free) Dban boot & nuke

it will erase you hard drive just as clean as the day it was new / just make sure you remove the power plug from your "D" drive before you start that program / Dban is capable of erasing multiple drives if you are unaware of what you are invoking within the program !!!!

once the program boots from the floppy disk / choose auto mode

http://dban.sourceforge.net/ >>>>> download the floppy version

make sure your boot order is set to boot from floppy drive as first device

it will load you OS like a snap after Dban gets done with it / its a slow program (3 passes) so be patient / it takes about one hour for a 20 gig drive ???

regards

joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, c: is useless to me right now, I've got everything up and running on d: and that is my home at the present. I'll have to try what you suggested tomorrow night then I'll let you know. THanks so much for the tip.

One question, a friend mentioned to me that I really "should" be running my XP from c: and using d: for my storage as was my original setup, something about how the drives are partitioned. I don't really understand why it makes a difference which drive I"m using as my main working drive, but what do you think?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Sound more like it did a repair rather than a clean install. Win2k, If you can get it to do a repair will do the same thing leave every thing on the drive, but nothing works (installed programs) Except Microsoft programs. this would at least give a person the opportunity to salvage file before doing a clean install. With 2k it will ask if you want to do a new or repair the current install. The way to force it to do a clean install is when it asks you which partition you want it on to delete the existing partition and create a new one, which does in fact erase all the files on the drive. :grin:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Well the onely thing i can tell your from experience is there is no equal in performance to the "clean" install !!~

there is no benefit to running an OS of a "C" drive or "D" drive

I have two identical (cloned) OS drives >>> yep C & D i swap can back and forth from either one and I never know the diff in performance or reliability as long as you are using either XP or Win 2K / now win 98 was a diff story >>> that OS could get flaky when operating under the above parameters; not always but enough that it discouraged me from doing it unless an OS stability forced me into it ????

regards

joe

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
linderman said:
Well the onely thing i can tell your from experience is there is no equal in performance to the "clean" install !!~

there is no benefit to running an OS of a "C" drive or "D" drive

I have two identical (cloned) OS drives >>> yep C & D i swap can back and forth from either one and I never know the diff in performance or reliability as long as you are using either XP or Win 2K / now win 98 was a diff story >>> that OS could get flaky when operating under the above parameters; not always but enough that it discouraged me from doing it unless an OS stability forced me into it ????

regards

joe
To True :sayyes:I only suggest the repair to try and recover files.
I used to do the clone Win98se, Used max blaster before they changed it to only work with maxtor drives.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Oldmn is 100% correct / if you need to recover files off that drive with the messed up OS >>> then by all means >>> of course his method of recovering the OS is right on cue / I apoligize if I missed soemthing >>> I thought Donnar already had the drive formatted but couldnt get any farther along (probally some persistent data files that keep boogering up the OS)

I am by no means contradicting Oldmn's method !!

regards

joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, I just need a little more help and have a couple more questions before I do this......

I downloaded the floppy version of Dban Boot & Nuke, but when I tried to put it onto a blank floppy, it said the destination drive was not large enough, so I thought I'd do the CD version. SInce it is a zipped folder, am I supposed to extract all the files and then burn to CD? And do I burn all the files onto the cd?

Next question...... ever since I put XP on d: drive, when I boot my computer, I get a black screen with 2 XP's to choose from. I have to arrow down and select the one where my d: drive is. I have tried to change the boot sequence in the BIOS to go straight to my Slave HD (d:), but I always get the options screen. Just wondering what will happen when I disconnect D:? I will change my boot sequence to CD-ROM first, so theoretically it should boot the c: drive to the cd so I can run Dban.

Then after this is done and my c: is clean, I'll plug d: back in, then will my computer boot automatically to d: since that is the only drive with an OS on it?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a little nervous about this.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
If you want to make it boot only from you D: in the bios you need to change (Boot from other devices) to NO.
To answer your other question you should only get one boot device if you unplug one drive.
You will want to make you CD first then you C: if you want run Dban from a CD.
If you are not aware, When your boot from CD line comes up, you have to hit anykey to boot from the CD. Otherwise it goes on to the next device.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
To answer your questions about the Dban CD ??

if you download the dban boot & nuke CD version to a computer which has a writeable CD rom drive with burning program installed (Nero, Roxio, Easy cd-creator etc) after downloading the Dban file ~~ its not zipped but you should get a little icon thats associated with your burning program / you should insert a clean ready to use CDR blank disk / then click on the Icon downloaded / that should bring up your burning software and ready to burn / just click on the record button ????? at least thats how mine does it ?????

then its just a matter of either changing your boot order in the bios to boot from CD rom drive first

or use Carlos method: start-up your computer with the dban cd in the cd-rom drive / keep tapping on the F8 key about once every second until a menu pops up saying "bootable media found in cd-rom drive : which device do you want to boot from ????? there will be options in that drop down menu / choose you cd-rom drive / boom it boots right into dariks boot & nuke

I just tried it to be sure I didnt forget anything and it worked damn easy !!!

dont forget to pull the 4-pin power plug from any drives you DONT want erased before you run the boot & nuke program / the program has the ability to erase multiple drives !!!!! if you select that option without knowing it ~~ you may get alittle more "clean" than what you are looking for :(

if you need more help / just holler back

cheers

joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
make floppie error's

once the program boots from the floppy disk / choose auto mode

http://dban.sourceforge.net/ >>>>> download the floppy version

I keep getting error's while it's making the floppie??? any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Use that baby all the time, love dos.

I actually tried 3 different blank/formatted floppies before posting this. :sayyes:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Well;

its time to try a new floppy drive / good news = they are cheap (dont forget new cable while youre at the store)

regards

joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, i'm getting closer to having the guts to do this.... and I got the floppy version to work. I read the FAQ and wasn't doing it right the firs time. :)

One question about something I Read in the Dban FAQ.....

Q: Why did my large hard disk shrink to 128 gigabytes after running DBAN?

A: The Microsoft Windows installation media that you are using only has ATA-5 support, which has a 128 gigabyte limit.

The operating system installer must have ATA-6 support to use all of a disk that is larger than 128 gigabytes. The solution is to reinstall with Windows 2000 SP4 media or Windows XP SP1 media. If you do not have recent Microsoft Windows media, then research a "windows slipstream install" for instructions about how to create it.

Alternatively, you can install to a 128 gig partition, apply the service pack that provides 48-bit LBA, and then enlarge the filesystem afterwards.

Microsoft documents the issue in KB305098 for Windows 2000 and KB303013 for Windows XP.

Seagate gives the issue full treatment in their Windows 137GB Capacity Barrier document.

I have an 80GB hard drive which I'm going to run Dban on (after unplugging my running d: drive!). WIll I have this problem? Will installing WIndows XP Pro solve it if so?

Thanks for all the advice on this so far, its been so helpful! Thanks gang!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Donnar:

No you will not have any 128 gig barrier probelms :)

the reasons why are as follows:

1) you drive is not larger than 127 gigs

2) that situtation which you found the FAQ for is not a DBAN issue but rather a windows barrier limitation / that barrier is solved by SP-2 or using drives smaller than 127 gigs (the person that posted that FAQ probally had dynamic disk overlay (DDO) on his drive to solve the 127 gig barrier / thats a common but undesirable approach to solving the 127 gig limit / but DDO all but destroys and chance for data recovery should you ever need to do data recovery or partition reconstruction / therefore when the poster used dban it erased the DDO / as such because he didnt know how to slipstream the OS and or update the bios to enable large drive support (LBA) he probally had trouble getting his OS installed. You can however re-install DDO from any hard drive manufacturers website tools / example = maxblast large drive enabler

3) FYI its very simple to "slip stream" or add SP-2 to any Win XP OS CD if you have a burner / for those interested in the details just ask. You can also add or "slip stream" SP-4 to a Win 2000 OS CD if you have access to a cd-rom burner and buring software

4) it is far superior approach to slip stream SP-2 to you OS when you do a clean install because an install with the intergrated SP-2 cause far less crashes than updating and adding the SP-2 patches after the OS has been installed !!

dont hesitate to ask more questions

regards

joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd like the instructions linderman on slip, i have w2k on C: and xp pro on D: and I agree that if one has to fresh install........it's a drag to get all the patches upto dat again.

MTIA

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Slip Streaming SP-2 for Win XP (or substitute the sp-2 for SP-4 & win 2 K its the same process and steps to complete)

All that is needed is a writable cd-rom drive and burning program (nero, roxio, easy cd-creator etc)

here goes download auto streamer version 1.03
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4444.html

then download service pack -2 to a folder on your "c" drive / its own folder is best / make sure to pick the "network version of Sp-2 or multiple computer version" because this is needed in order to get SP-2 into a folder / if you select the version for one computer it wont go into a folder / instead it will intergrate directly into windows
scroll down the web page / this is the one you need
Download and Deploy Service Pack 2 to Multiple Computers

"Download this version of Windows XP SP2 if you need to deploy it to multiple computers over a network"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...n/winxpsp2.mspx

afterwards its damn easy / open autostreamer / it will ask you to for the source of windows XP and also where the source of the SP-2 files are
the source of the Win XP OS disk can stay in the cd-rom drive / the SP-2 you will have downloaded to a folder - get it to navigate to the folder / thats pretty much it dude >>>> after you push the button to do it / when its done it will make a file as you name it >> like "win xp-2

once you see the file that it created after making the intergrated "new" version / you simply click on that little file icon / your cd burner program should take over from there and make you a "bootable" win xp-with SP-2 on it

dont hesitate to ask questions

joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
link doesn't work linderman, sorry about that...it does work.

That autostreamer looks like it's the answer to this slipping, thx johnwill and linderman.

However I installed it and pointed it to my CD and the w2k sp4 and where to put the finished product....it had green check marks and was thought to be ok but NO iso or anything. Weird to say the least, but i'll try a different version or something.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.