Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys, my name is Jon and I am begging for your help. I have a custom built system and usually reformat once
every 3 months, but this last time has not been successful. I built it myself, so if this is a hardware issue please inform me - I might be
capable of fixing it.

First off, this is the error message I have been getting when trying to install a fresh copy of Windows XP.
(I was able to format the HD before this error, so the HD is blank)

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen
appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives pr hard drive controllers.
Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for
hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information :
*** Stop: 0x0000007b (0xf898963c, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Some things to be aware of:

- Last format was using a illegitimate WINDOWS XP OS (Windows XP Black), this OS ran flawlessly after the setup, but now I can't reformat properly)

- I had installed ESET Nod 32 anti-virus (first time using any anti-virus)

- I have a legit copy of Windows XP and a illegitimate one. The blue screen error appears when I try formatting with the legit copy. The illegitimate copy seems to install fine, but then an "ERROR LOADING HARD DRIVE" appears after restart.

- My bios may not be completely up to date, but I have reformatted many times before and not had this issue.

- I have a separate 40g hard drive, and these same errors appear. (Attempted separately)

- I do not have a floppy drive. (My DVD/CD R is my main boot priority)

Also, I have read many forums and been to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103, but I can't really find anything exactly related to my issue.

ASUS A8n - Motherboard
120g Maxtor ATA/133 HDD (SCSI)
Kingston 512 (x2) - Ram
Geforce fx 7600gs - GPU

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Couple of questions..
When you say attempted separately witht he 40GB do you mean the Maxtor was disconnected?
What is the model number of the Maxtor drive - how is it connected? You specify ATA and SCAI bothe, the capacity is an ATA capacity. Is it reported somewhere as a SCSI drive?
Is the HD detected correctly by model and size in BIOS?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Maxtor HDD was disconnected when I tried the other HDD.

My hard drive is Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA/133 HD -YAR41BWO

ATA(IDE) - Scratch SCSI, sorry for the confusion.

"Is the HD detected correctly by model and size in BIOS?"

^Not sure, but in Boot Priority it shows the HDD, so I believe it detects it.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
OK is the drive spinning up? Verify the cable connections. Check the connectors and make sure the clamp over the ribbon cable is snugged. Double chack and verify the jumper settings.It is sounding like a physical problem, but the fact that you are seeing the same issue with the 40 GB drive almost makes it sound like a cable or motherboard issue

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The connection seems fine. It does spin and shows the red loading light on the front of my computer. The pins in the back are set to DS (Master).

I would also suggest it being a physical issue, but again nothing like this ever happened until my last reformat. I hadn't touched any hardware between this recent format and the one previous before this one - the previous working fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted to avoid this conversation in fear of getting my thread banned, but the illegitimate copy of windows actually lets me get to a repair screen. I did a CHKDSK and it seems to be fine. Any commands you could think of to help me through this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.