Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has an HP Paviliion 915 computor, when starting screen goes directly to password login, he has forgotten the password, it's his password not admins. as it gives him a hint we know the hint just not the answer. None of the F-keys during the black screen stage work. It just goes to login. We cannot get into safe-mode, or bios. We ordered the recovery disc set from HP, however we cannot get in to change the boot order. When we put the disc in and started up nothing just went to login. At this point we're willing to do a complete recovery even if it means loosing hundreds of purchased songs from iTunes. But would prefer to try to save them if possible. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF.
I, myself would actually slave the drive into another computer to salvage your paid for songs.
friendshipme said:
None of the F-keys during the black screen stage work. It just goes to login. We cannot get into safe-mode, or bios.
When you try and go into the BIOS, do you wait for the HP splash screen to appear before pressing the F(?) or delete keys?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About f-keys, there is not hp splash screen, no other screen, just black then login page. To slave it would I be removing the physical hard drive and putting it in my computor, is this hard to do. I see how it would work but I haven't done anything that advanced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link, it looks like I can do it. Will it make a fference if his computor is an HP and mine is a Gateway?
Also, how would I activate the other hard drive once I got it in?
Any ideas on how to bypass the password page when we put it back in the HP?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Doesn't make a difference if his is a HP and yours is Gateway
All you do is open My Computer and your drive (slave drive) should be the D: drive

We ordered the recovery disc set from HP, however we cannot get in to change the boot order. When we put the disc in and started up nothing just went to login.
You need to tap the DEL key upon booting to go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence to boot to the cd-rom first. If the DEL key does not work try the F1 or F2 key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, well I have his hard drive in my computor, all went fine, however I'm having problems with versions of iTunes. I have to upgrade my version, before I can open his iTunes. I'll will be doing that tonight.

While I'm in here, how would I go about disabling or deleteing the password on his hard drive. I've poked around but am not finding anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.