Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After deleting almost 600 fonts which I didn't want - some areas of some programs now only display the wording as squares or rectangles, e.g. the word MESSENGER on "msn messenger". I've obviously deleted an essential font. I reinstalled them all (got them from recycle, put them into a new folder and from there reinstalled, not copied them, reinstalled back to the fonts folder). After restarting and even reinstalling Windows ME the same problem exists.

Is there a list of essential "should not be deleted" fonts for windows and if I have reinstalled them all back again why is the display still weird?

Any help appreciated.

many thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you know exactly what type of font you are looking for, visit one of those free font sites or Aim me at Lilmohdingoboi, or Msn messenger contact [email protected]. If you want a list of all of the fonts that i have, please reply to the topic, because i run Windows ME Also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still need help

Thanks Dingo

Unfortunately I don't know which is the font I'm looking for and that is the problem. I have reinstalled Windows ME thinking that would solve the problem but it didn't. I had around 600 fonts at the time and have left over 100 on hard drive. I even reinstalled the original 600 so I don't know what has happened.

I've had a similar experience years ago when, after deleting fonts, the address bar disappeared in explorer but after reinstalling all the fonts is appeared again.

Any other suggestions welcome.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
the person has stated that reinstalling didnt work.

maybe you have another idea?

i know i dont.

i hate winME, seems like a hunk of garbage.

~BoB~

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still need help

I have reinstalled Windows ME twice and I have reinstalled messenger also.

Still same problem.

I'm gettting the blocks in other areas too - such as when I try to use the drop down box for fonts in MS Greetings. I've attached a pic to clarify - this came up during reinstallation of Messenger

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
when you are reinstalling, are you reformatting as well?

ive never heard of something like this living through a format.

~BoB~

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This sounds Useful

Thanks Bob.

No I'm not reformatting but I don't know how to do that. I have the CD obviously but don't know how to reformat. Don't I have to install a CD Rom driver before I can use the Windows CD.

If it is a simple procedure could you let me know in simple terms please. I'm an intermediate user but I've never reformatted before.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
first off, go into your bios screen and set the machine to boot from cd, and then save and exit.

then see if it starts from cd, and loads all the tools.

then, it should be able to manage the format from the cd, with no floppy needed.

this is however windows ME, and im not to familliar with it, so make sure it can boot from cd before you go reformatting it.

as far as walking you through this, i should leave that to someone who is more familliar with winME

hope this helps

~BoB~

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bob - I'll wait

Thanks Bob - I'm a bit nervous abour reformatting and the thought of having to reinstall all my programs is overwhelming!!!

Reformatting should do the trick, why wouldn't it. But I am nervous about reformatting.

I'll see if anyone posts any more suggestions but I'll have a go if all else fails.

Thanks once again.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i hear that.

reinstalling is something that can seem overwhelming, but if you have all the right drivers and program installers you can normally cruise right through it.

i reinstall my own machine about once a month, in fact, i just did it about a week ago.

i always use my burner to make backup CD's so my data is always safe.

i have 100% of my driver software, so i never have to download anything.

i even have all the updates and patches i need on cd, as well as things like winamp, winzip, ad-aware, zonealarm, spybot, and things like that.

make sure if you installed any new hardware that you have the cd for it, because it may require a driver. www.driverguide.com has quite a few, in fact most of them.
but, i highly suggest scanning anything you get from there for viruses.

hope this helps.

~BoB~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.