Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Here's a problem I get all the time, multiple times a day:
Sometimes when I open a folder, anywhere on the system, any drive, the folder opens, and draws the icons of whatever is in it, and then it gets stuck - it stops responding, I can't scroll the window or move the window, or click on any icons. If I ctrl-alt-del and get the task manager, it lists all of my open folders as "Not Responding." If I do an End Task on any of the folders, all of them close.

After they all close I can go back and open them all up again to get back to where I was going without any other issue, for awhile, and afterwards another folder will just stop responding. It's making me crazy!!!

Sometimes, instead of just going dead and forcing me to bring up the task manager, all the open folders will just close without warning, or they'll close and I'll get a Dr Watson Postmortem debugger crash alert box.

Please help. I'm running win xp home sp2 on a compaq presario AMD AthalonXP 3200+ 512 MB ram multiple hard drives (280 gig total across 4 drives)

help!

Michael Packard

·
Registered
38 Posts
there is a way to disable drwatson although im not sure that's your problem
To disable it, go to

HKEY_local_machine\software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ AeDebug and set the Auto string to 0. Then use Windows Explorer to go to Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\DrWatson. Delete User.dmp and Drwtsn32.log, the insecure logs the program creates.

this might help with icon lag if you are just using the original windows xp icons

refresh the icon cache by deleting the IconCache.db file from your profile directory (usually /Documents and Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data). It will be automatically recreated.

i have not tested this myself so be cautious and use system restore and check my ideas with another source

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still crashing

still crashing. Hangs everything up. Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
It's profoundly annoying. And I never know when it's going to happen. Some days I can go for hours going into and out of folders without incident, and some days the folders stop responding once an hour or more. It's making me crazy!!!!

Help help help help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has this problem always occurred with your current installation of XP? If it's something new, maybe a system restore might fix it, but I guess you would of thought of that!

Must be a problem with Windows Explorer, so you could try a SFC /scannow to check for corrupt files, again you may have already tried that.

Could be virus/spyware related if it's a new problem on a previously working system, so maybe an online scan is in order.

Just a few ideas, if the XP install has been a problem from day one, then none of the above applies :-(

·
Registered
38 Posts
are you running any raid functions if so then it could be a raid problem and you might post a new thread about your problem and state that you have raid running you might get more help there

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no raid functions. I think I've had this issue for a long time. I don't remember if it started with the sp2 upgrade, I've just grinned and beared with it for awhile, but it's really annoying and I'm sick of being annoyed. boo. running an sfc now.
If it turns up anything I'll let ya know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
there are a few things i've seen cause this

1 open up internet explorer (yes i know this isn't what your having trouble with but the two are very tied together) goto tools and (pray that there is a section called manage add-ons --if you keep your system patched it should be there) remove all the add ons as there is no way to really tell which one is causing it.

2 run scandisk on all your drives windows freezing opening folders is an indication of your computer having trouble reading the fat tables and directory structure. begin backing up anything you want to save cause it only gets worse and once it gets real bad there won't be anything you can do to safe those files cheaply

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.