Tech Support banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, hope you're all well

i am totally pulling my hair out here with something ive done so many times in the past that no longer works :banghead:

So, i normally have my taskbar set up with a pinned file explorer shortcut thats targeted to open to "this PC" (C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /root,,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}). every time you click that icon it will open a new instance of "this pc" and they will stack up in task bar all together (exactly what im after) now after a fresh install of Win10 i cannot get that to work.

when i click that pinned shortcut now, it opens a second file explorer icon where they all stack up. they will not stack on my original shortcut.

I have since created a file explorer shortcut with "change folder and search options" set to "open this pc" and that works for the first instance however, if i click the file explorer icon to try and open a second instand of "this pc" it just minimises.

years ago i found a guide but ive spent the past few hours googleling to try and fine it but no such luck, i really hope someone can help and i hope this has not been too confusing to read.

thanks in advance

Tippee

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
if anyone could help, all i want to be able to do is have a folder icon that when clicked, opens to show my drives the same as clicking this PC but if i click it again it opens another instance of the same thin. i have managed this but it opens a second icon which i hate, i had it working before new install of win 10 馃が Clicking the left icon opens the right, thats what i need to stop.

Windows Tech Team
It sounds like the setting for Combine Taskbar icons (See: Settings, Personalization, Taskbar Pane - and scroll down as it's not near the top of the pane) is either set to Never or When Taskbar is full. It sounds like you want "Always, hide labels" as your option.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply, "always hide labels" is selected already. it may help for to to explain that if i use the right hand icon it works fine and so does it opening to "this pc" but if i click that icon a second time to try and open a second instance of "this pc" it just minimises the window thats already open (unless i shift + click) i want to be able to click and it open a new window, not shift click. i hope that makes sense. thank you for your time and help.

Windows Tech Team
Have you tried right clicking?

I know what you're asking for, I simply have no experience in getting that behavior. When I want a second File Explorer Window while leaving the others untouched I generally use right click to get it.

If you were able to get the behavior you seek before, then it's a setting somewhere, but I'll be darned if I know where.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
yes i dont know where the settings are either. its such a shame because it worked so well like that for me and it feels so different now, i wont give up just yet. hopefully somebody will see this and have an answer 馃

1 - 7 of 7 Posts