Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,447 Posts
That's because there is no MS support for a floppy drive in Windows 10. I don't know of any third party that developed one. There's a chance that if you have floppies that you must use, a USB external floppy drive might work.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
You can copy the files fdc.sys and flpydisk.sys from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers in Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and copy them to the same place in Windows 10 to get the drive to work.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,447 Posts
I was not familiar with the file transfer Spunk recommended. He might have an idea. Are you sure the drive worked before updating to 10?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have multiple Windows 10 Pro x64 machines that have native floppy support (drivers as part of Windows 10). In particular build 10586.

I use both an external USB floppy drive and an internal floppy.

There were some earlier preview builds that did not have this support, however.
What build are you using?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My floppy did work sometime before win 10, but It has been a long time. I just wanted to copy some files on the floppy disks. I don't plan on using it anymore.
I have win 10 pro, but don't know the build.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
The Preview of Windows 10 had Floppy support removed, but there was so much push back from System builders that Microsoft added it back in on the more recent builds of Window 10. If Windows see's your floppy drive and you can put a disk in, and it recognizes the disk, then it is working. If you cannot copy files to the disk then the Floppy disk is damaged it will be unreadable.
Rather then futz with a floppy drive, get yourself a USB Flash drive. they have larger capacity and easier to work with.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found my problem. After removing the side cover, I saw that the floppy drive power cable was off. I connected it and now the floppy drive works. Sorry if I caused a problem!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.