Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Samsung SFD-321B/LEL1 floppy drive attached to my Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo with BIOS version 9, and can't seem to get my system to read the drive. The BIOS detects it as a Legacy 3.5" 1.44MB device, but the system can't read any disks in it. The floppy drive's LED stays on permanently.

I've got the ribbon cable connected to the mobo so that the pin 1 stripe is lined up with the pin 1 on the mobo. This is the top of the port, the side closest to the battery. Pin 1 is not labeled on the Samsung floppy, and no instructions came with it. Pin 1 should be the side closest to the power connection, shouldn't it? The Asus cables don't have the notch in it, so the cables can be attached right side up and upside down. I'm pretty sure this is connected properly, though.

Any ideas as to the problem, and what kind of damage can occur if the ribbon is attached upside down?
Thanks!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Curse Asus and their tab-less cables, and Samsung and their lack of labeling the 1 pin! I did have the cable attached wrong!

In my search on Google for an installation guide to double check the floppy connection, I came up empty. I then got the idea to check how the floppy was attached on a working system and noted where the tab/notch was located in relation to the side containing pin 1 and then compared it to the system I'm building. That showed my error, and now the floppy is working fine. It appears as though a disk I had in it was the only casualty.

My only question now is if permanent damage to any system components can occur from attaching the cable upside down. The drive is reading and writing fine, which is at least one good sign.

My other question is why are the Asus cables not tabbed to prevent human error such as this?

- Update -
Successfully flashed the BIOS with the floppy! :D

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
That's a normal issue with floppies, and no damage normally results from it happening. Hard disks are usually keyed, and in all of them that I can remember, the stripe goes next to the power connector, so it's usually not a problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Big clue to them being backwards is that the LED goes on, and does NOT go off, as stated will not harm the floppy drive, just won't work.

And you are right, normally the floppy drive pin one is located on the side next to the power source, however... I have seen a few that defied that rule, in addition to not being marked... tab inserts...

But even in these, the above primary rule works, if the power light goes on and does not go off, it is backwards...

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Take note that I said hard disks are normally pin 1 toward the power connector, not floppies. I've yet to find a 3.5" IDE drive that had a different pin 1 orientation. OTOH, I have floppies that have both orientations, so I normally locate pin 1 before installation and mark it with a felt tip pen on the drive.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i do that felt tip pen thing on every disk i have my hands on, including hard disk and floppies.

i use a nice red pen to make it nice and obvious.
i also alot of the time make the red stripe on the cable easier to see.

and yeah, i have seen floppies going both ways.
the only reason i mark hard disks and cd roms, is sometimes other people dont know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.