Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have run accross a small problem. I have an HP Pavilion 533 Mhz intel celeron, with a 30 gb HD. It had been working perfectly since I bought it in 1998, but all of the sudden the floppy disc's stopped working. When I insert the disc, I get the hour glass, and it kinda freezes everything, and then I get a message "disc is not formatted, do you want to format?" If I click on yes, then it takes me to another screen where I get options for different size of floppies, then when I click on any of them, it tells me to insert floppy. This just started happening out of the blue, and I was wondering if there's something I might have messed with that caused this, or if this might be just wear and tear effects. I've opened my pc a couple of times to upgrade memory, and to add a hard drive, but the floppy worked fine after the installations. One day it just stopped working. Any ideas???

:bandit:

S

·
0 Posts
Have you checked the cables and the power connections to make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It looks as though you may be right and the drive has packed up working. Try inserting a new disk that has never been used but is pre-formatted, tell me if it still wants to format. If it still wants to format let it try, then let me know what happens?

On boot what happens to the floppy drive light? Does the light stay on, can you hear the drive?

When you try to look at the floppy drive what happens to the light on the front of the drive, can you hear anything?

If you know how to enter safe mode or dos see if you can see the contents of a floppy there?

Finally how long ago did you last open up the computer to make these hardware changes you talk about?

There could be other reasons why you are having these problems but let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok SuperCub,

I inserted both brand new floppy and used ones, and does the same thing on both. When I insert any floppy, the green light goes on, and stays on, and you can hear the disc running. Its kind of like when you try to start your car but it just wont start, the drive tries to play the floppy, you can hear it but after a while it comes out with that "want to fomat" message. I checked the device manager, and shows the drive "a" as working properly. I also recently did a soft format to the computer, because when I turn it off, it would not shut down. So I formatted it, but keept all the files, and it fixed the shut down problem, but not the floppy drive problem. And the last time I opened it to check the cables of the floppy drive, was about a month ago, and only opened it because I had tried everything else on the software/hardware side. There was nothing suspicious about the cables, and were all plugged in correctly and tightly. What do you think???

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have a look at SPEEDO’S suggestion first, but from what you say I guess I would change the drive over with a new one, Floppy drives are cheap and yours is now over five years old, time and dust have probably taken their toll.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Hello TKT
Have you tried going into DOS and playing with the A: drive from within DOS ? This is assuming you're using win98, right ? :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.