Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are magnets inside speakers? I only ask because I got a shelf thing that goes on top of your monitor and I put my big sub-woofer and two speakers on it. The monitor has started flickering oh so slightly at the top so I was just wondering if a magnet in the speaker is killing it. I really don't wanna take them down as there's no where else to put them and 'sides the whole speaker set is in front of me, sound is so so good :) (btw the pics of the product have speakers on top of monitors)

Cheers

Geki

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There most certainly are magnets inside of speakers, and the magnetic field also fluctuates with the sound. Most modern PC speakers are shielded to prevent interference with the monitor, but I have several sets that will screw up the monitor when they get too close.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Why not consult the manual for the speakers? I'm sure it would say in that whether or not they are magnetically shielded. Also, what you are describing as your symptoms does not seem to me like it would be caused by a magnet, as magnetic exposure usually results in warping and discoloration but not flickering. Have you tried removing the speakers from the shelf to see if it goes away?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh I did try taking it away and it stopped. Was just wondering whether it might be magnets, or weight, or not sufficient ventilation with the shelf over the monitor. That's all I could think might be the matter.

Geki

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
If that is the case then I do think it's probably the speaker. Does the flickering occur only when sound is playing? The flickering may be caused by vibrations from the sub.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
It may in fact be the magnet then, since magnets in speakers would do that even when the speaker is off.

Another thing you might try- move the speakers around while the monitor is on, and see if the location of the flickering moves as well. This would prove magnetic interference

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm yeh, I tried that and the flickering moves about. ****, looks like the speakers will have to come down :( ah how the mighty fall.

Geki

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
try shielding them

they sell a thin magnetic shield sheet that you could wrap around your monitor, or slip between the speakers and the monitor. when i had my speakers next to my monitor, i didnt have a problem, but the massive 16 oz or bigger in a subwoofer produces a much larger and more intense field of magnetism. try setting two yellow pages books under the sub, 4 inches of paper usually has a good shielding effect.

if i put my monitor on my home cd player,the cd player suddenly cant read, but a yellow pages fixes it.

~BoB~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.