Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive installed, clean installed and nothing. it still tells me i dont have Flash player active X installed.

And now I cant view SWF files with irfanview.

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,873 Posts
Works for me Gween, are you seeing any errors from IE when you try to load it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im using Chrome now and your link tells me "Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available."

Im using an old Flash player now and all works fine, its only on Firefox that it doesn't work now, it tells me i need to download flash in Firefox but not in Chrome or Internet Explorer. Weird.

Seems Firefox Bombed.

But if I use a new flash player version i seem to get problems on other programs like Irfanview? dont know, Im afraid to touch anything again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thankfully I can play SWF in Irfanview now!

But I still cant play some Youtube videos, those that have annotations on them, (on Firefox only, every youtube video works fine in Chrome and IE ect) however I can play Youtube Videos that dont have extra stuff in them like commercials ect)..the Videos that do have annotations ect look like this.

When you click play on them they then say this..

So this seems to be the only problem Im having now..a missing firefox plugin?

·
5,873 Posts
The latest version of Flash does have several problems to work out with Firefox.

There's a set of troubleshooting steps here: Adobe Forums: How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox? you'll probably get the quickest 'fix' (once you've ruled out any RealPlayer involvement) by going to the 'Last resort' section and changing the mms.cfg file:
Last resort

Finally, if these problems are blocking you from using Flash Player we recommend, as a last resort, you either revert back to Flash Player 11.2 or temporarily disable Protected Mode. We strongly recommend that Protected Mode is manually enabled once this issue is resolved.

To revert to a previous version of Flash Player, please see this FAQ: How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

To disable Protected Mode, add the following line to your mms.cfg file located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

ProtectedMode=0

If the mms.cfg file does not exist, create one using any standard text editor (e.g.. notepad)

Depending on your operating system, you might need to first save the mms.cfg file to a writable location (such as your documents or desktop folder) and then copy the file into the destination folder using Windows Explorer.

To re-enable Protected Mode, simply remove the line from the mms.cfg file.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was the ticket, Everything works perfectly now! Thank you so much! :dance:

Now I must ask you..what WAS Protected mode? :huh:

·
5,873 Posts
It's effectively a sandbox, your Flash content can play inside it without affecting anything close to the Operating System, so that if you hit a malformed or malicious swf file, playing it wouldn't affect Windows or trigger malware downloads, your data leaking out, etc. Inside Flash Player Protected Mode for Firefox « Adobe Secure Software Engineering Team (ASSET) Blog
Our Protected Mode implementation allows Flash Player to run as a low integrity process with several additional restrictions that prohibit the runtime from accessing sensitive resources.

By running the Flash Player as a restricted process, Adobe is making it more difficult for an attacker to turn a simple bug into a working exploit.
Unfortunately, it looks like this was issued without enough testing and caused some of the problems that you, I and others have suffered over the last 10 days or so. Most Firefox users aren't affected - only the Chosen Ones :grin:

Just keep your eyes peeled over the next few days or so, you really do need to implement the next version of Flash once it's released - but undo that line in the mms.cfg file (I assume that was the fix for you) as well - sandboxing is a Good Thing.

·
5,873 Posts
I was hoping they'd find at least a partial resolution - I think there's more than a single problem, judging by the issues I've seen and read about with Firefox and Chrome - by the end of the week. I guess it's down to how many users with the problem actually give Adobe/Mozilla some feedback so they can replicate the problem(s) in their respective labs..

Already, I think Mozilla have lost a good number of Firefox users and Adobe's reputation has dropped yet again in many eyes; with the bandwagon initially hounding down RealPlayer as being 'the problem' (patently not true for many, I've never had RP installed on any of the 4 PC's here) and the jumping ship from Firefox to Chrome/Opera, some are looking at a conspiracy theory ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.