Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello, i heard with windows vista that youll be able to put a flash drive into a usb2.0 port and it can act as RAM, somehow, so this means i can basically get 4gb of ram for less then $100, SWEET!!, i live in reality so i know thats too good to be true, but i was just curious if anyone could tell me more on this subject, and not just redirect me to a website ive already looked at??? thanks!!.

also, this is not the case but lets pretend my computer has 512mb of ram, which is just enough for windows vista, im sure vista would run like crap with only 512mb but what if i plugged in a 2gb flash drive, would windows vista run like a champ then?

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
well, in a nutshell, nope. 1st of all it only works with certain flash drives. they have to be high dollar, high speed flash drives, and then it doesn't use them for ram. what it does is writes the virtual ram page file to the flash drive, as these high speed flash drives have faster read/write times than a standard disk basked hard drive. so i'd still make sure you have at least 1gig ram before getting vista.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.