Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visit a fair few japanese websites, and I've noticed that whenever flash is used in the website, none of the characters show up at all, they come out like this;

(Click to make larger) Screencap from here

I was just wondering if there is a way to fix this problem, I can't find anything on macromedia's website to help me. :4-dontkno

Anyone able to help? Any points in the right direction are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi chanponchan and welcome to TSF,

I just had a look at your link to the flash animation and it seemed fine to me. What characters are missing?

Just a thought, do you use adblock? Got anything that could be blocking?

What version of Flash have you got? I read somewhere that people were experiencing problems with ver 8, but I can't confirm that.

Have you got Shockwave?

Look here for some other considerations posted by koala.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome keithy,

For flash, I have version 7,0,19,0 installed, and I wasn't sure if I had shockwave installed or not, so installed it just to be sure. It isn't showing any of the japanese characters on the actual flash animation, except for ones that I don't think are actual things typed in. If you look at the screencap I took, look at the number one ranking, I can see the word vestige, but after that, where characters should be, is all that strange mumbo jumbo where proper japanese characters should be. I have asian language support installed on my PC, as I can read and type Japanese with no problem, it's just the flash that seems to be causing me grief :dead:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Does it happen with any other browser for you? I tried your link with 4 different browsers (Firefox, Opera, IE (yuk spit!) and Slim Browser) and the result was exactly the same, so I doubt it's an IE only site.

Does it happen only with this site? I'm thinking it could be lousy coding by the web-designer.

Perhaps a geek could check the page source code, it's all Japanese to me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried it in IE as well, and it does exactly the same thing. I found another website that uses solely flash, and it is exactly the same, all strange letters and numbers where japanese characters should be. Hmmm.. I wonder what is going on..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.