Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been having problems with my computer running XP/ home. I had temporarily installed a second drive to configure it for TIVO.

Afterwards, while booting. I received a slew of errors. Windows corrected them all and now tells me things are fine. But I was getting various weird behaviors, including Explorer crashes, windows help system does not work, car-alt-delete brings up a process screen, which I cannot close.

I did a re-install XP (twice) that seemed to go fine, I still have these problems.

I've run a program called hot CPU tester which finds no problems.

I've run Ontracks diagnostic program, it tells me it can read and write ok, but the directory structure has problems. But windows does not find any problems.

Do I have to format my disk to do a new install? That is kind of a pain since I think the XP upgrade disk requires ME first.

What do you think...is this a hard drive problem.

If I add in a second drive can I install an XP partition, leaving my first drive in place so I can recover any data I needd (and maybe not have to go through the ME installation first).

Thjanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Welcome to the forums luckyrolls! :)

I don't know the answer toy your questions - but I am curious as to what you were doing with the HD in the beginning regarding Tivo?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the board, while Im not farmilliar with Tivo I would say that if a diag. program finds directory structure errors and windows cannot find/repair them your best bet would be a wipe of the entire drives partition, the a complete format. Or try to find a 3rd party program that can repair those errors.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Cool! I knew TIVO could be upgraded - but I thought you had to do a bunch of Linux hacking to do it. Didn't know they had Windoze apps to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some more detail on what I did. I connected a second drive, booted with linux disk. Mounted the my windows drive. copied over an initialized Tivo image to the new drive. and Unounted my Windows drive.

Also before I had the second drive installed correctly, I forgot to set it as the slave. I don't know if that could have caused a problem.

Mark

·
Global Moderator
51,442 Posts
I'm not sure what happened to your drive, but thanks for the TiVo reference. I was thinking of upgrading my 30 hour unit, and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. :) It's past time that I had enough storage to store a couple hundred movies in my TiVo. :D:D
:winkgrin:

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's probably a software quirk, or a hot CPU.

Try buying several slot fans and putting them in. You can also try running your computer with the case open. If the crashes go away when your case is open, it's just running too hot. That's what it sounds like. I have a '98 box that did that. After installing three slot fans, it quit. Then again, it did have a 90 degree ambient. To be truthful, I don't see how they keep today's systems cool enough!:scared:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.