Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a few q's.
whats the best way to fix scratches on my car? i have 6-8 scratches on my car and was wondering the best way to fix them? they are not very big or long i just want to clean them up. can i just spray paint them with a silver can (silver car) or will i need to fill them, some how, and then paint? or is there a product or wax that fills them so i dont have to paint? or what? i dont know much about cars or paint jobs so all suggestions are greatly appreciated. i really dont have the money to take it to the shop but if all else fails then i might have to. please help, thanks.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Not sure if your car has a base coat/clear coat finish or not. This can make difference.

Depending on how deep the scratches are dictates how you go about repairing the scrathes.

If you cannot feel the scratch with your fingernail, I would start with a good wax/cleaner and see what happens.

Then you could move up to a light polishing compound, the white stuff.

Then if needed, you could try rubbing compound, the red stuff, more abrasive than the white.

Note that the rubbing compound actually remove layers of paint or clear coat, so you cannot go too far.

Remember, you may need a buffer to do a good job with the compound and you will need to do a final wax coat to see what the end job will look like.

If the scratch is more of a gouge, then touch up paint and wet sanding may be in order, but again you need to know if the paint is base coat/clear coat and this may be better left up to someone that knows what they are doing.

JamesO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.