1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm unsure how to set up a wifi bridge.

The main router is the Thomson TG585 v7

I'd like to use the Belkin F5D7230-4 to extend the signal to further reaches of my home.

Anyone who could give me a step by stepo guide to getting it done would be a legend!

I've tried looking up on google how to do it, but its all very sporadic information. nothing straight forward.

Im not completely ignorant to using devices, but this is a little beyond me :p

Thanks in advance

Kris

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,352 Posts
Are you trying to configure a wireless bridge? If so, the Belkin probably could be problematic. I've never successfully bridged one of those with a non-Belkin device.

I use a secondary router wired to the primary to extend the wireless signal here.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,352 Posts
First off, a wireless bridge will only offer remote wired connections, you're really describing a "range extender" or "repeater", which is a different product. Truthfully, I have very little use for for these products, they create issues all their own.

My recommend method of range extending is to simply increase the signal at the router and possibly at the remote machine as well.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
can you not run one cable to the other side of the building? if you can you can use that second router as just an access point by removing the wan cable and just using the lan cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.