Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all thanks for looking at this

i'm a third year programming student, i have a copy of red hat linux 9 and was wondering if you have any tips for installing it. i'm sick of XP (isn't everyone to some extent?) and wanted to try something new. do i have to create a new partition with a special linux format? does it boot from the cd to install? do i have to run it through something else.

any advice would be appreciated as i am completely new to linux and am greatly looking forward to seeing what it's like

thanks

gandalf ;)

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
your best bet will be to repartition your HD (if needed) so that linux and XP are on separate partitions. ultimately, it's up to you what size you want to give to linux, but lets say you have a 40GB hard drive. if you're only using 5-10 GB, i'd say cut the drive in half. create 2 partitions for linux. one will be the main, the other will be a swap partition. the size of this should be twice what your ram is. so, if you have 512MB RAM, make the swap partition 1GB. as far as which file system to use, either ext3 or ReiserFS will work great for you.

RH9 should be able to boot from the CD. I haven't tried it, but most of the newer distros do this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks skie

thanks skie

that helped
i also got knoppix which is another type of linux, you can run it from the cd and in your ram (ramdisk)

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I'm familiar with Knoppix. Morphix is based on knoppix with some changes. Also, SuSE has a version that can run straight off the cd. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.