Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Toshiba Satellite A210 laptop for 2 years without any major issues. When I turned it on today, after passing the usual Toshiba start screen, I was directed to a screen with a bunch of data and readings on it (I am not a computer expert so I cant tell you exactly what it was) and an error message that read, to my memory: "System CMOS checksum bad - default configuration used." I was given the option of pressing F1 to use the defaut settings and F2 to open up some menu.

I pressed F2 for the menu, but as I was confused by all the DOS stuff and impatient to get onto my computer, I chose to exit it and wound up facing a black, unresponsive screen.

Rebooting the machine from the power button, I was horrified to find that this time, I was instantly faced with that cold, black nothingness. No start screen, no error message with that F1/F2 option, nothing.

Persistently (and desperately), I rebooted the laptop another 25 times (or thereabouts), to no avail. The laptop was limp and dead, the only sign of life was that blue "on" light that glared at me defiantly, giving me a futile sense of hope. I think I've now realised that my laptop gave me one chance, then gave up on me, so continually repeating the same thing is not going to make a difference.

Apart from this, I have tried to take the battery out and use only the power supply to turn it on, but that didn't do a thing (as I expected). Beyond that, my technical knowledge is limited and I cant think of what else to do now that my laptop wont give me any options.

Whats going on? Please don't tell me the hard drive is broken :(! I have some documents on my computer which I absolutely need! I'm just perplexed because my laptop hasn't been given me any strange issues lately... the only problem I would have right now is a lack of available hard drive space, but I'm pretty sure thats not it. It still had a good few GB left in it. I also haven't dropped it or thrown it around, or lent it to any brothers with questionable downloading habits. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mesha

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try pulling the battery out, and unplugging the power supply.

Hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Plug in the power supply, and try restarting.

Is there any sign of life, and sounds?

Peter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.