Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DELL DIM 2350 was networked to another DELL DIM 2400 via a direct Eathernet cable [no server]. It worked fine:file sharing, printer sharing and shared net access.
Then I had a crash[ no boot] cured by installing a 2nd HD with a new install of XP. Now the network SEEMS to work [icons present and flashing, Connection shows up on "all connections" as active - sending packets, etc.] But I can't get anywhere.
I've run the network wizard several times. XP firewall is off. Free Zonealarm is active {as before]. When I try to access the "home" network via "view network computers", all I see is my own icon.
Previously, I've gotten an error message saying something like "this network is not available. You do not have permission ... Contact your network administrator."

We've also run the wizard on the other PC [also running XP home], since the new HD, but not recently.

I don't know where to go next.

Thanks,
Wynn

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
All machines are must be in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.0.x where x is any number. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 for most small networks.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks johnwill!
OK, I can ping the other PC, the other PC shows the dial-up conx as "shared", and now am even getting an icon on "my network connections" showing connected via the other PC. But I still can't get to my email account [via the shared conx], or any web addresses. I can close the "shared" connection from my PC and then connx via my own modem.
My head hurts.
Seems as tho everything is now set to go - but it won't.

I can now see the other PC on the network, and get to files. Printer icon shows, haven't tried to print anything. Don't know what I did to get this to go.

Oh, we're both using Firefox and Thunderbird.

Any suggestions?

Wynn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I’m getting somewhere.
When I go to “network connections” and click on GET STATUS of the internet gateway, and then click on SETTINGS, I see a list of SERVICES.
First time I did this, none of them were checked!

I don’t know what to fill in to ans the boxes that open when I check them:
I figure I need: DNS
POP3
HTTPS
HTTP
SMTP
Any others?
Is the gateway PC [the only other one on the ‘network’] the server for these services?
What internal & external ports should I fill in for each?

When I click on DETAILS in the SUPPORT tab of LOCAL AREA CONNX STATUS
I see a bunch of info, but WINS Server is blank.

I’d very much appreciate any suggestions.

Wynn

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
You don't have a WINS server.

Are you running ICS and trying to share the Internet? I'm trying to figure out what your exact configuration is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
configuration

We have two DELLs, running XP home, Zonealarm[free],I have AVG, she has Avast, SbS&D, MSAntispyware, Firefox, Thunderbird, ...
Crossed Cat-5 cable direct between PCs.

Yes we are trying to run ICS.

The LAN is working now, I can see & send files, as well as print over it.
I can start and stop the dial-up connx on the other PC, but can't get on line.

I suspect the setup of the services, as described in my previous post, are the problem.

Have I covered all the needed configuration info?

Thanks,

Wynn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.