Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My PC build stats are

ECS KN3 SLI2 (1.0) Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz CPU
1 GB (2 x 512) Corsair DDR2 800 Dual Channel
BFG GeForce 7900 GS PCI-E Graphics Card
WD Sata I Hard Drive
Ultra V 600 W Power Supply

This is my first build. I'm pretty sure I'm installing everything right. I power on and it loads to the "Verifying DMI Pool Data ..." part but then never advances further.

There are some LED's on-board. Around the PCI slots there are 3 Blue LED's that all flash off and on. There is a small red LED near the RAM slots that stays on once I power on.

I hear no beeps when it starts up or anytime before it stops doing anything. So basically I hear no beeps unless I hit a keyboard button a bunch of times.

I need help so bad. I have a decent amount of money in this, I thought I took plenty of time (about 2 months or so) researching how to do this. But now that I'm here I'm stuck and don't know what to do to correct it.

I have looked at the BIOS just to see if there was some silly thing that wasn't enabled, and while there are things I question, nothing that seems painfully obvious jumped out at me.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks,
Newb

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
First thing I would try is to remove everything not needed to boot the computer, to include you RAM. If it boots put things back in one at a time and see which causes it to reporduce the error. You could also try to clear you CMOS by removing the battery for 10-15 minutes and then put it back in and try to boot. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I can add a few things to what 95Five-O suggested, do as he suggests first. Should you still have the problem then try these things.

Check that your hard drive is correctly connected and that any jumpers on the drive are properly set.

Check the Bios settings for your hard disk and make sure that they are set correctly and that the drive is recognised.

Try booting from a CD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow.. quick responses

Well, I'm not even sure if you can do this. I just took the hard drive that was in my last computer and stuck it in the new one. It has an operating system on it and everything.

Is there a certain order I should install and/or boot things up in? The manual I got with the motherboard, which I was really counting on, is very selective with the information they give. I thank you all for your help.

Thanks,
Newb

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Your computer is looking for the hardware that was installed on the computer the hardrive came out off, it can't find it so it stalls.
Format the drive and install a new operating system

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
What Kodi says is quite correct if the op system is windows NT or XP. If it's Linux I don't know but logic assumes that it's the same because of similarities in Architecture. If however the disk was from Win9x/Me then it should boot with problems ( looking for drivers etc) unless you haven't configured the jumpers correctly, ie made the disk a Master and placed at as the MAster drive on IDE0.

Since the drive came from another PC you MUST install a NEW operating system on it or INSTALL a valid LEGAL operating system on the drive, one that has not been installed AND IS CURRENTLY IN USE elsewhere. It should also (I believe I am correct here) NOT be an OEM version that was delivered with another PC, even if that PC is now scrap.
Hope I worded that correctly and haven't forgotten anything.:grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.