Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Freecom 40Gb firewire hard disk which has recently stopped working. When I plug the cable in to the computer, it is recognised correctly but the device manager shows the yellow exclamation mark and says it can’t start the device. There is no sound of the hard drive starting up and no drive shows up in my computer. Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Does the drive have an independent power supply or does it get power from the firewire port? Make sure if it does that it is plugged in correctly and that it's getting power.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
If you were to unplug the drive from its power source and plug it back in, would it make any sound?

Unfortunately, this drive sounds dead. If there is nothing too important on the drive I would recommend trying for a RMA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have, i've discovered, quite an old model. it has a full size hd inside. Anyway, i'm out of warranty so i opened the case and the hard drive works in my desktop pc i then plugged the firewire bits back in and it works intermittantly. seems fairly random so I guess the 1394 to IDE bit is dodgy somehow.

thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.