Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to switch back to an older user profile in firefox? i haven't been able to find it.
Thanks for any info

· Registered
330 Posts
Try going to: Start > Run and typing firefox.exe -profilemanager into the box. This will bring up Firefox's Profile Manager. Available Profiles should show up there and you can choose which one to open. If there is only one Profile listed, it would seem as if you don't have an option to go back to any earlier one.

The only other thing I can think of for a lost Profile (other than it being deleted) is if one was ever renamed in Windows Explorer, perhaps for experimental purposes. Firefox would create a new Profile if that was done. If that was the case, the renamed one could be got back if necessary.

You could just take a look into the 'C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox' folder to see if more than one Profiles folder is present, or put out a general search for folders named 'firefox' in case the lost Profile was located somewhere other than the default directory.

2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I ran into a couple problems...
When i ran "firefox.exe -profilemanager" all it did was launch firefox. And there was no Application Data or anything remotely close in the folder you specified... Any thoughts?

· TSF Emeritus
26,674 Posts
The way I do it is to open the properties for the Firefox desktop shortcut, then in Target type "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -profilemanager (with the quotation marks), then run Firefox from the shortcut to bring up the Profile Manager menu. It might not work if you only have one profile, I haven't tried it that way yet.

I use WinME and the profiles are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

For XP C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like my computer isn't too happy. I changed the target of the shortcut as you'd said, and it again only opened firefox. My old profile must have been deleted. I included a screenshot of the folder where "Application Data" should be so that you know I'm not crazy and or blind. I don't know why the folder wouldn't be there. Anyway, thanks for your help gents, guess I'll have to start from scratch.

Attachments

· Registered
330 Posts
Open Windows Explorer and go to: 'Tools > Folder Options > View'. Click 'Show hidden files and folders'. See if that makes the Appplication Data folder appear.

Typing what you did in the 'Run' box should have opened the Profile Manager, even if you only have one Profile. I wonder if it might be best to back up a few things in Firefox (Bookmarks.html most importantly) and start over with a new installation (including a new Profile). One good thing about Firefox is that this isn't usually too bad to do.

2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
martt, your guess was right. I didn't realize that the folder I was looking for was a hidden folder. I got in fine, and firefox is back to how it should be. Thanks a bunch for yer help

· Registered
22 Posts
one question guyz

koala said:
The way I do it is to open the properties for the Firefox desktop shortcut, then in Target type "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -profilemanager (with the quotation marks), then run Firefox from the shortcut to bring up the Profile Manager menu. It might not work if you only have one profile, I haven't tried it that way yet.

I use WinME and the profiles are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

For XP C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

i had the same problem
i lost my original profile and had to recreate all the links and options
i followed the path given above
i found four profiles
how do i switch back to the one i had before??
please let me know

· TSF Emeritus
26,674 Posts
When you open Firefox using the Profile Manager menu, you just choose the one you want from the list. Try all four to see which is the original one.

· Registered
22 Posts
koala said:
When you open Firefox using the Profile Manager menu, you just choose the one you want from the list. Try all four to see which is the original one.
well, firstly thanks for the reply
when i said i found 4 profiles tht was using the path u gave me
when i opened the shortcut using profile manager, it directly opened it didnt show me any choice to choose any profiles
this was last nite
today in the morning again tht stupid "choose ur profile " box opened up
luckily i chose the correct profile and dint have to start from scratch

this is strange

· TSF Emeritus
26,674 Posts
At the bottom of the 'Choose User Profile' there's an option to 'don't ask at startup'. If you leave this unchecked, it will bring up the menu every time you start Firefox.

· TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
51,795 Posts
martt said:
Typing what you did in the 'Run' box should have opened the Profile Manager, even if you only have one Profile. I wonder if it might be best to back up a few things in Firefox (Bookmarks.html most importantly) and start over with a new installation (including a new Profile). One good thing about Firefox is that this isn't usually too bad to do.
One thing to note in using this procedure to open Profile Manager is that FF needs to be closed for it to work. From Mozilla's page, here:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

To start the Profile Manager in Windows, follow these steps:

1. Close Firefox completely (select File > Exit from the main menu of Firefox).
2. Select Start > Run... from the Windows Start menu.
3. Enter firefox.exe -profilemanager and press OK.

· Registered
22 Posts
koala said:
At the bottom of the 'Choose User Profile' there's an option to 'don't ask at startup'. If you leave this unchecked, it will bring up the menu every time you start Firefox.
thanks koala
now, one last Q

i got my old profile back
i had typed "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -profilemanager in the target menu

what do i do to get back to the original path in the target menu
i dont remember wht it was b4 i replaced it with the above path?
plz tell me

btw, u guys have been v helpful and supportive
i just wanna thank u all

· TSF Emeritus
26,674 Posts
Just remove -profilemanager from Target. If the menu comes up again, highlight the required profile, put a checkmark in the 'don't ask at startup' box and you won't get the menu next time you run Firefox.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey gang, I was following this thread from a google search after Mozilla made me make a new profile. I brought up the Profile Manager, and the one I was using before was just the default. I had to make a new one, so I made it Konig. When I try to switch profiles, it says the profile default is already in use, please choose another. Any help?

· TSF Emeritus
26,674 Posts
Hi Konig,

How many profiles are in the menu, and did you follow TetonBobs's advice?
Are the default and 'Konig' profiles the same? (same theme, extensions, settings)

· Registered
5 Posts
koala said:
Hi Konig,

How many profiles are in the menu, and did you follow TetonBobs's advice?
Are the default and 'Konig' profiles the same? (same theme, extensions, settings)
Only two, "default" (the one I've been using), and "Konig" (the one they made me make). I followed his advice, but it won't let me switch to default. And no, Konig is completely different, none of my bookmarks, settings, etc..

· TSF Emeritus
26,674 Posts
Open Explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Are there 2 profile folders listed? The original/default may be corrupt or contain corrupted extensions that prevent it from being loaded.

You can use the Profile Manager menu to delete the Default and create a new one. But that wouldn't solve the problem of losing your bookmarks. Hang on for some more replies before deleting anything. There are people here who know much more about Firefox than me. :wink:

Have you tried System Restore?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.