Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 weeks ago, after my system updated with Microsoft's February update to Windows 10, Firefox (Adobe Reader started acting up, too, but this is about Firefox) started being extremely slow to open common webpages such as nbcnews.com, abcnews.com, foxnews.com, cnbc.com, even the mozilla and firefox support web pages, basically any webpage. Like 28,800 baud or slower. (CPU-Z update of 1.8 MB file took over 3 minutes to download via browser.) Thinking it was hardware, I replaced my 3 yer old cable modem to an Arris SB8200 Docsis3.1 (I only subscribe to a 300 mbps connection from provider, not gigabit, so expecting Docsis3.0, 300 mbps speed. Modem upgrade had some issues with recognition but thought to be resolved. Had to have Windows rebuild network connection to get Windows to recognize and work with it correctly. Using Ethernet cable to Desktop PC from Netgear WNDR3700v3 router. Speedtest app reports around 330 to 350 mbps even while webpages are crawling to load. Was using FF v73.0.1 but now updated to v74.0.0. Did a browser refresh after FF update per Mozilla recommendations and still it creeps. Put Ghostery and VideoDownload Helper add-ons back on since having them gone didn't help. Use no FB, Twitter or other social media except LinkedIn which doesn't load on startup. Use no BHOs that I know of. No cloud services (iCloud, MS or Google). When I load same pages in MS Edge, they load in a jiffy (mere seconds).

Any help will be appreciated. Currently (3/14) posted the issue in Firefox Support forum and submitted feedback on same through Firefox support page throughout the week but no responses yet. (Had to use MS Edge to post it because FF was so slow.)

System is:
ASUS Gryphon Z87 Haswell, i5-4570 3.2Ghz, 8GB DDR3
NVidia GTX 560Ti 1MB GDDR5 (yes, upgrade needed)
Windows 10 Home, x64, v1903 (Build 18362)
Malwarebytes Premium 4.04

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stancestans,
Thanks for the reply. I do have FF and Windows connections set to no proxy already although during the last update & refresh FF kept changing it to proxy by itself it seemed.

However, I would like to put a hold on this issue for a few days. Let me explain.

Trying to provide info about my system for my original post, Win10's Settings\System\About app would not complete gathering data. It would start running but never complete and display the system data. I obviously was frustrated but wondered if Windows was the source of the FF issue.

Yesterday evening, 3/14 (at least that's when it hit my update queue), Microsoft pushed out what was described as a .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0 update. After that update finally downloaded and installed, FF suddenly ran much faster as did other download tasks I tested. Additionally, the Win10 Settings\System\About app worked properly again. It ran quickly and completely displayed the data. So far today, 3/15, FF is loading pages much more quickly like expected. I am checking it periodically to see if it holds true.

The issue may have been MS created. If we all can hold a few days, I will post on status.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stancestans and all,
After monitoring with daily usage due to working remotely, I am happy to report the issue has gone away even in the new "everybody is online" conditions. I really think the issue was either a bad install of the February updates or an MS created bug issue and the update that installed as I noted resolved it.

Thanks for the response to my post. I appreciate the volunteer nature of the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.