Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had over 100 bookmarks and when I turned on my computer they were all gone. I have tried some solutions but none of them worked, this is really frustrating cause ill never remember all of em. If you think you know whats wong please tell me.

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried all profiles I have no luck. I have looked at the bookmarks.html in all of the profiles and nothing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You didn't say what version you're using so I'll throw some options at you!

Are the files/folders hidden? From Control Panel open 'Folder Options' > 'View' and ensure 'Show hidden files and folders' is selected then go look in your profile again.

If you can't find bookmarks.html (which you should) look at bookmarks.bak, if that contains your lost bookmarks rename it from .bak to .html - also, look for a Backup folder and check it's contents (should be a bookmarks backup in it) within your profile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using version 1.0.7 and none of those solutions helped because bookmakrs.html was gone before and I changed bookmarks.bak into bookmarks the html and all my bookmarks were still gone, the folders weren't hidden.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Did you import your favorites into Firefox from Internet Explorer? You should be able to reimport the favorites list to create a new bookmarks.html, if it contains the links you want.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If koala's recent suggestion doesn't work for you, then i'm afraid that your bookmarks are gone. You can try to recover them with free programs like Restoration and PC Inspector, but that's only if you haven't overwritten them by now. Make sure you backup your bookmarks in a safe place from now on because this seems to happen more times than it should for Firefox users.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar problem when I upgraded to 1.0.7. There are 3 accounts on the computer, WinXP Pro SP2, and after upgrading 2 of the accounts had all their individual bookmarks but the 3rd account had only those that would come with a new installation (this was not the account used to upgrade). Fortunately I had a backup copy I use to keep my wifes laptop synced.

John

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I save mine onto a floppy every few weeks. I'd be lost without my bookmarks :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
not very helpful replies :4-dontkno , unfortunate because this comes up quickly on a google search for 'upgraded firefox bookmarks gone'

after some digging i found an auto-update of my bookmarks at
C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\RANDOMNAME.default\bookmarkbackups

hope this helps some peeps

-clay

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
This is a new feature introduced with version 1.5 that stores backups from the last 5 days/sessions. Pigburge is using 1.0.7
Thanks anyway, I hadn't noticed this feature before.

For Win9x/Me users, the backups can be found in
C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

·
Registered
3 Posts
Conventional Wisdom is lousy

People love to badmouth MSIE but I've never had the problems with that browser that I've had with Firefox...shame on the developers who brag about and evangelize this faulty tool.:4-thatsba

·
Banned
152 Posts
Yup mine just disappeared out of no-where. There is a bookmarks.html and a bookmarks.bak I looked in both and they were exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wow! This is a blast from the past!

They are the same because bookmarks.bak is a copy of bookmarks.html (your 'live' bookmarks file) and is created/updated every time you close Firefox.

In your Profile you will also find a Bookmarks Backup folder which keeps your last 5* days of bookmarks backup's.

*You can set the amount of days to as many as you like.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The default amount of backup's is 5. That's the 4 preceding days and the current day (when you close Firefox).

If you want to change the amount of backup's you want (I only keep 3) type about:config in the addy bar and enter bookmarks in the filter, the pref you're looking for is:-

browser.bookmarks.max_backups

Right click and select modify and enter the amount you want.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Theres a backup bookmark folder? Either its not there or I somehow missed it, i'll check it out later.
FireFox keeps the backups located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Windows login/user name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random letters.default\bookmarkbackups

·
Banned
152 Posts
Well they other day I got them back, I copied the bookmarks HTML file to the folder before and renamed it to bookmarks.html (also deleted bookmarks.bak that was already there) and it came back.

Now today my bookmarks disappeared (along with my objectdock dock...??) and now I can't put them back.

OH WAIT nevermind it works :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.