Tech Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
IMO Windows 7 was the big improvement to Vista. 8 & 8.1 were steps sideways. 10 was another big step forward. Jury still out on 11.
Wow! I totally forgot about 7. Wasn't even a blip on the radar. Yeah you are right about 7 being much better than Vista. Foggy haha but I remember. If I could have any of them running smooth still, I'd choose XP. I think though, if I weren't so lazy to learn it, I might like Linux and never look back?

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,903 Posts

· Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,942 Posts
As far as I could tell, Windows 8/8.1 was just a silly experiment that went wrong, a bit like Vista and ME.

XP was great, in its day, I ran that until it was just silly not to upgrade to 7 and was very impressed. after that, as always, waited until I was forced to upgrade to 10 and never looked back, it was like 7 but with all the flaws ironed out, still works brilliantly.

Windows 11, imho was launched for the idiot part of society, the ones that have to get the latest thing simply because it is the latest thing, regardless of whether it has been tried and tested or not.

Having said that, present company excepted, quite a few of my colleages here at TSF are running 11 and, from what I can gather, they've hardly noticed a difference.

On a side note, here in the forums, I think you could get your point across quite adequately without being disrespectful to the staff. As you rightly mentioned earlier, we are all volunteers and we are all human. Humans are well known for having good days and bad days, perhaps you should consider that before you press the 'Post' button. :)

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
As far as I could tell, Windows 8/8.1 was just a silly experiment that went wrong, a bit like Vista and ME.

XP was great, in its day, I ran that until it was just silly not to upgrade to 7 and was very impressed. after that, as always, waited until I was forced to upgrade to 10 and never looked back, it was like 7 but with all the flaws ironed out, still works brilliantly.

Windows 11, imho was launched for the idiot part of society, the ones that have to get the latest thing simply because it is the latest thing, regardless of whether it has been tried and tested or not.

Having said that, present company excepted, quite a few of my colleages here at TSF are running 11 and, from what I can gather, they've hardly noticed a difference.

On a side note, here in the forums, I think you could get your point across quite adequately without being disrespectful to the staff. As you rightly mentioned earlier, we are all volunteers and we are all human. Humans are well known for having good days and bad days, perhaps you should consider that before you press the 'Post' button. :)
You know what? Thank you all very much for your ideas. This thread did not solve the problem but I learned a few things on the way. I hope that both the praise that I wrote here and the constructive criticism will be seen as it was meant...part of a long tradition called communication. Today, mistakenly many folks, especially youngins :) are prone to being overly sensitive and they confuse constructive criticism for "disrespect." I assure you I mean no disrespect to any normal man or woman or even a fragile snowflake.
Thanks once again to everyone on this thread for your time and help.
Till next time!
Be well~Ciao!

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,615 Posts
The video on Wikipedia was certainly amusing. I certainly look at Wikipedia and I even toss them a donation about once a year for $10. However, consider that anyone, including a clueless idiot, can sign up to modify any topic on Wikipedia, and you have to take a close look at the "information" you're getting there. Actually, taking a close look at the information applies to just about anyplace on the Internet! Just because you found it on the Internet, that doesn't make it true.

I assure you I mean no disrespect to any normal man or woman or even a fragile snowflake.
Gee, you had to blow the apology by tossing in a couple if insults on your way out, you really should have stopped at: I assure you I mean no disrespect.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The video on Wikipedia was certainly amusing. I certainly look at Wikipedia and I even toss them a donation about once a year for $10. However, consider that anyone, including a clueless idiot, can sign up to modify any topic on Wikipedia, and you have to take a close look at the "information" you're getting there. Actually, taking a close look at the information applies to just about anyplace on the Internet! Just because you found it on the Internet, that doesn't make it true.

Gee, you had to blow the apology by tossing in a couple if insults on your way out, you really should have stopped at: I assure you I mean no disrespect.
Apology? Man, you guys are eating too much soy. What gives? READ. There was no apology. I have nothing to apologize for. I could not have given you guys more praise, which I can see most people do not. I made a couple of observations about the way "I" was treated with the very first reply to begin with and then having the poll I made take down completely illogically. There is something very disturbing about how overly sensitive and butt-hurt people, even "men", have become. Anyone should be able to handle the truth but far too many left leaning people these days. As I said, I MEANT no disrespect. For God's sake grow a pair would ya? Is it an insult to point out someone is being overly sensitive? I can't even believe the Nancy behavior on this thread. If it looks, acts and smell like a snowflake, maybe it's a snowflake? I imagine you ladies have been taught to ban anyone with a contrary opinion to your own. So I truly hope you don't act this way towards every guy that comes here who is not a soy boy or a boot licker.
Here is a parting gift before my ultimate doom :) again....you guys have the best forum...you should try to act like it..

· Registered
141 Posts
The title pretty much sums it up. I searched for help. Saw that this was an issue in the past. But no real help with this issue.
Basically, when in fullscreen, the min/restore/exit are not present so I have to use F11 or right click with mouse and select "exit fullscreen." Since I am personally in and out of Fullscreen mode all day, this is a pain in the back.

Thanks ahead for any fixes/help!

Cheers to my countrymen in the U.S.A. from Uruguay South America!
For the record:
Firefox 102.0.1, running on Linux Mint 19.3, still allows a mouse-over to exit full screen.
Win 10 1903, 102.0.1 also allows mouse-over. This laptop is staying on 1903 until I have to upgrade because I use it for specific work and don't want anything broken.

Have you run sfc /scannow ? Do it a couple of times whilst in safe mode. Also, check FF in it's own safe mode.

· Registered
64 Posts
The title pretty much sums it up. I searched for help. Saw that this was an issue in the past. But no real help with this issue.
Basically, when in fullscreen, the min/restore/exit are not present so I have to use F11 or right click with mouse and select "exit fullscreen." Since I am personally in and out of Fullscreen mode all day, this is a pain in the back.

Thanks ahead for any fixes/help!

Cheers to my countrymen in the U.S.A. from Uruguay South America!
There was a time when Firefox was great!

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,903 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
I should have said so, but I am running 8.1. I've looked into the Action Center and there is nothing about Tablet and in device manager in HID there is no Touch Screen option to disable. Thanks for your ideas. I also did a Firefox refresh no help.
Uninstall the video driver, restart Windows, and let it reinstall the driver. You could also start firefox in troubleshoot mode, then restart normally.

· Registered
65 Posts

I agree with your assessment of all of the Windows versions. I also stayed on Windows 7 until MS support ceased and then moved on to Windows 10 kicking and screaming. Now, after having used it for 3 years, I think it's the best Windows version ever. Windows 11 is just still Win10 with just a different graphical interface mainly. There's nothing Win11 can do that Win10 cannot do, so no reason to upgrade to it. Windows 10 support runs until Oct 2025 so it will be good for another 3 1/2 years at least. Now there are rumors of a Windows 12 (probably a fix for Win11).

Regarding Firefox, I have used it since Internet Explorer 6 days. It has always worked great for me, even though Google Chrome is much more popular. Firefox still is open source and one of the few browsers not going with the crowd and using chromium as it's engine. I run the latest version of Firefox and I do not experience the issue with running full screen. When I move my cursor to the top of the screen the buttons all appear to across the top normally.

· Registered
59 Posts
Very amusing thread.
I wonder if the OP understands that Apple/Mac also "listen in" and "watch internet history"?
This is the way of the corporations and we all tick the box that allows them to do it.
I find it interesting that Firefox was "once great". Why do all developers take something that is more than serviceable and then try and tweak it, normally making it clunky and unusable?
Internet is littered with such things.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
For the record:
Firefox 102.0.1, running on Linux Mint 19.3, still allows a mouse-over to exit full screen.
Win 10 1903, 102.0.1 also allows mouse-over. This laptop is staying on 1903 until I have to upgrade because I use it for specific work and don't want anything broken.

Have you run sfc /scannow ? Do it a couple of times whilst in safe mode. Also, check FF in it's own safe mode.
thank you...will do after saturday....on vacation at the moment....I appreciate your input.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yep, I'm not having any problem with FF in full screen mode, move to the top and the "missing" buttons show up like magic. ;) Perhaps it's a loose nut on the keyboard? :eek:

View attachment 333830
Yep, I'm not having any problem with FF in full screen mode, move to the top and the "missing" buttons show up like magic. ;) Perhaps it's a loose nut on the keyboard? :eek:

View attachment 333830
Thank you for yet another insult Johnwill,.. Global moderator huh? Super professional. You have a great day now :)

21 - 40 of 60 Posts