Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, sorry to whine for help in my first post but if I get seen too most appreciated!

ASrock M3A790GXH/128M Motherboard, fitted with 4GB DDR3 RAM, 2.6 Quad AMD Phenom, 1GB Gigabyte ATIRadeon HD 4670 DDR3, Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Heatsink/fan, ANTEC 300, Arctic Power 600w, Samsung 1TB HDD and a Samsung cd/dvd drive.
Half the information above is irrelevant to my problem but to paint a full picture. ALL the above components work correctly with eachother and are all recognised in the BIOS.

I set this up yesterday for a friend, started wonderfully, installed VISTA 64 and installed drivers and Wireless Card but noticed I didnt have the Vista 64 compatible driver so I shut it down nicely and went home (bearing in mind we already restarted it a few times after updates etc).

I arrived today with the relevant drivers on disk, plugged the power cable in and it simply would not turn on.

I did a number of things =
*Changed PSU with a spare I had which was working. No difference.
*Used installed Antec 600w on another desktop I had near-by, worked fine, so it can't be the PSU.
*Opened the case and checked wires, switch/reset etc, power slots and so on.

I personally think that the switch is broke.... strange as the case is brand new but shet happens I guess. I foolishly forgot to use the reset switch instead of the power switch, as at least 1 should be working. However I am back home now and before I go out tomorrow to resolve the issue but don't want to rely on 1 thing which in all probability might not be the problem.

Additional. When I turned it on in the early stages of troubleshooting the USB/PS2 Seemed to have power (stand-by power), lights and mouse went online, after messing around I had nothing.

Any thoughts on this would be great as I am not a highly trained pro on these things although I have set up a computer in the past. Cheers in advance.

I am the type of person to miss whats right infront of him so all help will be taken on board!

narm

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts
and welcome to the Forum

You can click on the Bench Test link and my signature and follow those trouble shooting tips. You powersupply is not a reccomended one and there is some chance it took out the board.

Post back when you have followed those steps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hello again. Cheers for the instant reply. I did as you said, eliminated all other possible problems. Didn't I just wish it was the switch haha.

The motherboard had failed, not sure why or how, but the warranty covered it and a new one came back today.

If what you said is true and the power supply could have taken out the board I'd like to know what to do next?(with new one)
I have a 200w PSU from a pretty old PC laying around somewhere, I don't think it has all features but it should get the board running.

Advice will be most welcomed. And thankyou very much for getting back to me, most appreciated.

Narm

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I wouldn't attempt using the 200W PSU. Can you return the Arctic Power PSU for a refund?
It's possible the PSU took out the Mobo but ASRock Mobo's aren't top of the line either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, one of my tech friends said they have a tendency to fail anyway, especially when working on high spec.

The 600w is out of the return frame by a week or so I would imagine, trying to tell my friend that it's probably not a good idea to use the PSU will just confuse him also. haha.

Is it worth the risk in blowing another Mobo if that is the problem, when I first booted it up it was working fine, set-up and installed Vista. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the PSU was to blow the Mobo it would be sooner rather than a couple hours after set-up surely.
My instinct tells me it's a random Mobo failure or maybe that's just what I want to think!

Is it worth using the same power-supply? In your experience whats the most likely possibility. I'll do whatever probability favours. ;)

narm

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Y Correct me if I'm wrong but if the PSU was to blow the Mobo it would be sooner rather than a couple hours after set-up surely.
There is NO definite's for any types of hardware failure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.