Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. i recently installed Windows 7 on my HP 8510p laptop and I noticed that while i can normally login using either a password or my fingerprint when I first switch on the computer, i cannot use the fingerprint reader after i put my laptop to sleep and then restart it. when i press to power button to restart after sleep, i am shown the welcome screen with the Fingerprint icon and my username below it and below that it says:

"Fingerprint unlock. Scan an enrolled finger on the fingerprint reader to unlock."
and then i have to press "Other Credentials" and login using my password, while the fingerprint reader doesn't work.

I searched for solutions on the net and found that other users had this problem as well. no solution however. i read somewhere (and confirmed it) that when i try to login with a false password, i can then login using the fingerprint successfully.

Anyone has any clues, please help!

Kyris

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?? please, it's getting annoying!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as i understand this article is for windows vista OS and service packs. i told you that i have windows 7 installed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, if that's what you want, I'll leave you alone and won't respond to your topics anymore.
huh? isn't the link you gave me about windows vista?

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
as i understand this article is for windows vista OS and service packs.

i told you that i have windows 7 installed.

OK, if that's what you want, I'll leave you alone and won't respond to your topics anymore.

huh? isn't the link you gave me about windows vista?
I believe it was the manner in which you reminded us that Windows 7 was installed.

`

I suggest that you go to the HP Support site and see if they have released an updated driver for the fingerprint scanner. If not, re-install Windows 7 and see if that clears things up.

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before installing Windows 7? Run it & see if it flags the fingerprint scanner -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

jcgriff2

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hello jcgriff2, thanks for you reply. i ran the program and it told me to "Run windows update after installing windows 7 to make this device compatible" for the Fingerprint reader but i have a newer version of Authentec driver installed on my machine than the one offered on the hp website. also, i installed all appropriate windows updates and still the problem exists..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
usasma, thanks for the reply. i tried applying the hotfixes that were supplied in the links you gave me but for all of them i got the message that they are not applicable for my computer, probably because they are for windows vista. Thanks anyway..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there are no drivers for downloading in their website, unless i cannot find them! i was searching in another forum and a guy made a post saying that this hotfix works for the fingerprint in windows 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734
i downloaded it but again i got the message that it could not be used on my computer. am i doing something wrong?

he also said to create this key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidUsb\FastResumeDisable = 1
however, this did not fix the problem either (unless i have to restart my pc, which i haven't done).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.