Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was just wondering if there is a command prompt or anything else you can do to find out when a file was deleted.

I lost a bunch of downloaded files on the 24 of november this year and I was not on the computer that day, I did however have the computer with me and I believe someone I know deleted these files purposely.

I would obviously like to recover but that is not a big deal, however I am much more interested in finding out if the files were deleted on this day or when they were deleted.

If there is a log of when files deleted or something I can do to find out it would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Moderator Hardware Team
12,283 Posts
If they are still in the recycle bin then they should have a date of deletion marked .. you should be able to right click and select the column if it's not shown.

If the files have been deleted from the recycle bin then there are some pieces of software that can recover those files .. sometimes but not always the recovery software will notify you of the date and time deleted. It really depends upon the recovery software being used

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply

Yeah I did check that once I noticed the files were gone, but were not there.

The whole folder is gone which contained these files, I have tried recovery trial programs and one of the files shows up, but not the time when it was deleted, which is what I am really looking to find out.

I have heard that itunes sometimes deletes files for no reason.

The only thing I can think of is this person went into my computer and deleted them, which is what I want to find out, hence why I am looking for a log of the day/time it was deleted

or

itunes deleted the whole folder (unlikely but has supposedly happened).

Im not really looking to recover the files, if anyone else has ideas of how to get a log of deleted files it would be very helpful.

·
Moderator Hardware Team
12,283 Posts
Most ofr the recovery programs that give you a trial period will only allow a small recovery until you pay ..
In order to get a list of stuff that has been deleted you have to be able to recover it .. so a software is required that does exactly that , even though you won't be making use of it.

I haven't heard of any logging procedures for seeing what has happened on a PC with the exception of servers which seem to log a lot of info by default .. for troubleshooting purposes.
Sorry I can't be of much further help.
yes .. I have also heard on several occasions of itunes deleting files .. I can't remember the full details though .. think it deletes the files on the ipod though ..not sure ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.