Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then Windows will spontaneously restart my computer. No error message before restarting, none afterwards.

This has happened several times when I am running critical applications that take hours to finish and require that they be run non-stop until completion.

I have scanned for viruses, trojans, and spyware but nothing shows up on the latest detection definitions.

I haven't had any Windows updates sitting installed and waiting for a restart in the background.

What could possibly be causing this or how could I check to see what the cause of the last computer restart was? :4-dontkno

This is driving me up the wall and is seriously hampering my work. :dead:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Please provide a complete description of the machine in question, include the make and model, hardware configuration, amount of RAM, application(s) that may seem to cause the shutdown and if we are talking about a laptop or a desktop machine. If it is a home built desktop, we may need more details on the hardware.

JamesO

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the lack of configuration info.

Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
nForce 4 Ultra 9PNA motherboard
e-GeForce 6600
1024 mb DDR RAM
500 watt power supply
230 gb NCQ hard drive

It doesn't seem to matter what I am running. The computer simply chooses a time and restarts without warning or error.

This last time I was running a very CPU intensive PHP 5.04 script on Apache 2.0.54 in the Firefox browser. It has to perform thousands of updates for a MySQL 4.1 database and write thousands of files which takes 2-3 hours to complete.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a similar restarting problem-traced it back to my installation of SP2,the restarting occured several times,was random, but only occured after installing SP2.
Reverted to SP1 and my machine stopped randomly restarting. Tried installing SP2 again a couple months later,same thing again with the random restarting. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I would start with the Event View under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel to see if there is any useful information.

If you do not get the "BSOD" Blue Screen Of Death with some information, you may not find anything useful in the Event Viewer.

JamesO

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Tell us a little more about your 500 watt power supply. What brand name is it. Do you know what is listed on the side or back about how many amps are on each rail?

Also, you might want to check voltages on your computer and also check temps both at-rest and under-stress. That should give us some clues. Most motherboards have an onboard program that will provide adequate information in these areas. If you don't have one of those, here is a free download that will do the job:

Sandra Lite Utility

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

or

Speedfan will tell you the temps. It's also free

http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

or

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JamesO said:
I would start with the Event View under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel to see if there is any useful information.

If you do not get the "BSOD" Blue Screen Of Death with some information, you may not find anything useful in the Event Viewer.

JamesO
No blue screen of death. It just restarts. :(

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tumbleweed36 said:
Tell us a little more about your 500 watt power supply. What brand name is it. Do you know what is listed on the side or back about how many amps are on each rail?
It is a Dynex, Model DX-PS500W. I am not sure where to find the amps per rail listed.

Already got SpeedFan.
Here are the temperatures in degress celcius.
Temp 1, 2, 3: 29, 44, 16
HD1: 35

I will checkout Sandra Lite, too.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Go to Start, Run, and type...

control sysdm.cpl,,3

Go down to Startup and Recovery, then click Settings. Uncheck where it says "Automatically Restart".

Next time your system crashes, you should see a blue screen instead of automatically restarting. Write down the "STOP message" and post it to this thread.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Resolution said:
Go to Start, Run, and type...

control sysdm.cpl,,3

Go down to Startup and Recovery, then click Settings. Uncheck where it says "Automatically Restart".

Next time your system crashes, you should see a blue screen instead of automatically restarting. Write down the "STOP message" and post it to this thread.
Where is the system log written to that it mentions in those settings?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.