Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HP Pavilion Ze 4900 laptop. It has integrated/onboard intel graphics card. does this mean that i cant get a different one? how do i know if i can, and how can i find out if ones compatible, such as a nvidia card?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Very few laptops have upgradeable graphics systems. The few which do are expensive gaming systems and they don't use standard ATI or NVIDIA video cards. You have to get the graphics upgrade from the laptop maker. The documentation for your laptop seems to be shared between about a zillion different models, but from the looks of it, your laptop doesn't have upgradeable video. You could check the manual which came with the laptop to be 100% sure but I can't see any models in these manuals which have upgradeable video.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks a lot for the help. so if i cant get a whole seperate card, can i somehow get better memory for the one i have? i am planning on getting more ram, over 1 gb, but my card is only 64 mb. I have a Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller w/ Intel Extreme Graphics 2 for mobile. If i get better memory , do i even need a different card to play big games like battlefield 2? thanks again.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
you can get more memory and get better performance in some games. But it wont make your video card better. Battlefield 2 is one of the newest games out and only a few video cards support it.

Your laptop wont be able to run it thats for sure. And like uncle marco said thers not really any chance you can upgrade your laptop to a better video card. All i can say get a newer laptop with a mobile x600 in it and then it will work

good luck

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
BF2 system requirements include at least 128MB of video RAM and (apparently) hardware T&L (transforms and lighting). Your integrated video only goes up to 64MB and doesn't have hardware T&L (although it can be faked with some emulation software). Adding RAM won't fix your problem with BF2 because you're still stuck at 64MB of video RAM. You might be able to get BF2 to hobble along with enough trickery because many games can function below their minimum requirements but the performance would be terrible because Intel Extreme 2 is very slow compared to current video cards. You can always download the demo and try to get it to work but I wouldn't count on it doing anything. Intel Extreme 2 just isn't quick enough for high-end games even if you can get them to run.

·
Registered
209 Posts
UncleMacro said:
BF2 system requirements include at least 128MB of video RAM and (apparently) hardware T&L (transforms and lighting). Your integrated video only goes up to 64MB and doesn't have hardware T&L (although it can be faked with some emulation software). Adding RAM won't fix your problem with BF2 because you're still stuck at 64MB of video RAM. You might be able to get BF2 to hobble along with enough trickery because many games can function below their minimum requirements but the performance would be terrible because Intel Extreme 2 is very slow compared to current video cards. You can always download the demo and try to get it to work but I wouldn't count on it doing anything. Intel Extreme 2 just isn't quick enough for high-end games even if you can get them to run.
agreed, my friend got it running on a 9200 which is dx8 with 64mb of ram... it is possible but he just manages to play on minimum settings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.