Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FileSystem(Fat32 or NTFS) for 320GB WD MyBook Essential Edition (External HD)

Hy Guys,
I am new here........
Yesterday i bought 320GB WD MyBook Essential Edition (External HD) out of box it was formated as a Single Fat32 drive.

I will be using this drive for storing files of 700MB in size. so please just me whether to go for FAT32 or NTFS and the cluster size. By the way i will be using this drive on Vista and XP only i need to get good read and write speeds.

-LeelaPrasad

·
Registered
37 Posts
Limitations of FAT32 File System
  • You cannot format a volume larger than 32 GB in size using the FAT32 file system in Windows 2000. The Windows 2000 FastFAT driver can mount and support volumes larger than 32 GB that use the FAT32 file system (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create one using the Format tool. This behavior is by design. If you need to create a volume larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system instead.

So you really have no choice but to use NTFS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would assume you have the drive connected through a USB port on the motherboard. If so, you will not achieve the same performance through the USB port as you would experience if the drive was connected directly to a SATA or IDE controller.

FAT32 is inneficient compared to NTFS. You will find that using "other tools" to format the drive out in FAT32 will increase the cluster sizes and decrease the efficiency rather significantly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey out There,

I got a WD 320GB HDD. Had alot of data on it and now the drive has gone corrupt on me. Basically all the sub folder titles are not english anymore more but some form of chinese writing (Basically they are corrupted) I cannot access any folder on the drive. My Visa sees the drive but it says there are 0 bytes free. I get a syntax error message when I try any method to read the drive. So what tools could I use to fix this HDD? How can I recover my lost data? I am currently trying check volume for errors and on reboot it is going through error checking. However it has been running for almost a day now and I am at cluster 5177750 with error reports of Bad links in lost chain at cluster yayaya corrected. and some truncated and some orphaned! can anyone advise me if i am screwed here with retrieving my data? What can i do as i need the data badly?

BR Gavnuga

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.