Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey there lads,

Just a quick issue I'm having with my Seagate 200GB drive. I'm pretty sure a few sectors of the drive a royally destroyed. Here's what happens.

A file will be downloading, say, a **** file. This file suddenly fails, has an error, cyclic redundancy check etc etc, and can no longer continue. Sometimes, a basic recheck of the file fixes it, but normally not. The only other way is to perform a full chkdsk on the drive (all 5 stages). After that the files come right. Sometimes even then it decides to do a chkdsk before windows boots as well, and that does its thing, finds some bad sectors, deletes some index entries, repairs some things. All seems well you'd think.

But then another file becomes corrupt, and not necessarily the same one. I assume its the file that decides to start writing to these particular sectors on the drive?

I hope you guys can understand the issue I'm putting forth here, quite tired.

Bonus question: is there a way to force chkdsk to run on boot for a non-windows drive?

Any help appreciated greatly.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Download the drive manufaturers disk utility and run a diagnostic against the drive. You can find a download in my sig below.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You can run chkdsk on a non system disk while windows is running: chkdsk d: /f where d= the non system disk

Chkntfs d: /c where d is the drive you want to run chkdsk on at boot. d can be any disk, including the boot disk

Please send my bonus check to the forum! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran the seagate diagnostic tool (the online one) and it informed me I had a s.m.a.r.t error, as I suspected it might. It says the drive may have one or more failing sectors.

Am I to assume this isn't repairable in any simple way? I got the drive second hand, not sure what chances if any I'd have of getting a replacement from seagate.

And bonus question, I tried the Chkntfs d: /c and a little cmd prompt popped up for a sec, went away, and when i rebooted there was never a chkdsk. No bonus check for you!

Paul

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
try this; its not so glitsy but what the he77

got to start / run / type cmd in the box then hit ok/ this will bring up the CMD box; at the flashing cursor enter this command chkdsk c: /f /r

copy and paste the command as the spaces are necesary for the thing to launch!

I will gladly accept the bonus check on behalf of HWM ! :laugh: :wave:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
BTW: back-up any critical data and then go to the seagate website; you can input your drives serial number and hopefully get an RMA number for repair / replacement it doesnt matter you bought the drive used; the warranty will be good as long as its not an OEM drive & warranty period is still active

once a drive starts developing bad sectors; its time for the next batter :3-smash:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.