Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how is everybody today? i recently used the FSTW on my machine to switch from 2000 PRO to XP PRO. the file it produced was too large to burn to one disk so i split the file in 2 and burned it then completely erased the hard drive for a fresh install of xp. the FSTW produces 2 files when it is done, one large DAT file and one small STATUS file. in my haste to do the install i fogot the small STATUS file. this small file seems to be something like a key that unlocks the large file because now i have the large DAT file put back togethr but can't get into it and i can't find anything that will open it so i can get my files and stuff back. i know every thing is there as i've done other machines since ( not forgetting the status file) and it replaces everything perfectly. so now i seem to have a back-up of my computer on disk i just can't get into it. any ideas on what might open this kind of file or how i could trick the wizard into putting it back on my machine??i've tried different status files from other machines and one from mine after i loaded xp but it seems that it has to be the file that came with the original transfer. i'm assuming that some program wrote the DAT file so there must be something that will open it. any ideas???

THE HAMMER

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i guess nobody has any idea where i should go to find more info. on this or should i try to contact microsoft directly?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have no idea what that program is but you might try PC Inspector to recover the files if you don't find any other way. Search google for the free download.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The dreaded microsoft may indeed be your only chance of salvation in this case. Usualy, unless I miss my guess, the smaller status file will be encoding instructions for the file, and the larger file auctualy the data. If you lose one, there is a chance that there can be another one available, try to get ahold of another status file, and see if that works (obvious answer right?)
If not, call Micro$oft

Ghrrom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. i will try pc inspector and let you know how it goes. i did try another status file and no luck (of course not, too obvious). if pc inspector does not work i guess microsoft is the only other way i can think of also. thanks again, i will let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.