Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use File Shredder 2.0 to securely remove files and folders from my hard drive. When using it on my Windows XP machine it adds a "Secure Delete" option to the right click context memu. However in Windows 7 it has not added that option to the right click menu!

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Is there a way I could add File Shredder to the Send To option in the right click menu?

Thanks to any one who can advise me on this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Daifne, but yes I did ensure the shell integration was turned on. In fact, that is the default setting when you install File Shredder.

How ever it is still not working - just does not show up in the right click context menu.
Is this a compatibility problem between Windows 7 and File Shredder 2.0?

Can you provide instructions on how to go into the registry and do the shell integration manually?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
From everything I can find, Fileshredder has not been updated to work that way in Windows 7. It seems that it hasn't been updated in a long time. Sorry I didn't find that earlier. It might be time to look for a new one. Eraser seems to be the most recommended in the links I found. Eraser

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts
Hi, you could try this workaround will add shredder to your right click context menu, clicking it opens shredder you still have to drag and drop the file though. It is not integrated, if I find the relevant CLSID I will modify it so it is integrated.

Copy all below into notepad then "save as" and call it Shred.reg save to desktop locate saved file and right click select "Merge". Takes effect immediately.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\File Shredder]
@="shredder"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\File Shredder\Command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\File Shredder\\Shredder.exe\""

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jenae,

Thanks. I tried this and it did not work. Shredder shows up in the menu when I right click on a file but when I click on it a window comes up asking what application I want to open the file with.

When I right click on a folder, Shredder does not appear in the menu.

How do I find the new registry key(s) and remove them?

·
7,755 Posts
Hi, works here, create a shortcut to file shredder and place it on your desktop then right click the shortcut and select "properties" under "target" what do you see (copy paste here).

If you want to remove the registry mods copy all below as you did above, the - removes.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\File Shredder]
@="shredder"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\File Shredder\Command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\File Shredder\\Shredder.exe\""

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK!

Found the problem, the File Shredder files are under "C:\Program Files (x86)\".

So, I can now open File Shredder when I right click on a file but it is not there when I right click on a folder.

Is there a way I can get into the context menu for folders?

Even better is there a way I can get it into the "send to" menu in the context menu? That is "Send To/FileShredder.exe".

Thanks.

Cecil Hughey

·
7,755 Posts
Hi, no, as I said this is a workaround "send to" will not work and folder right click context menu's are controlled differently, really up to the developer. Pity, still if you don't mind the drag drop it will still work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.