Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I recently purchased a DLINK DI-604 router and it works great.

I have 2 computers both running win XP and I was wondering if one of you nice people could explain to me how I could setup file sharing on them.

Really all I want to do is have a single folder that we can trade files back and forth on or save them to. Kinda like a network drive...or no?

Thank you!

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
If you want to share, you can use the built in shared folders on xp, or you can share an individual folder(s).

Right click on the folder you want to share. Select sharing from the top middle tab. Click on the blue link saying "I understand the security risks..." Then select "Just enable sharing" Click "OK"

Check the "Share this folder on the network" Give the share a name. If you want read/write access, put a check in the "Allow network users to change my files."

·
Registered
40 Posts
Poke around a bit more, if your router is connected to the internet I suggest you set permissions on the folder to just the two computers on your network.
Also, once again assuming you're on broadband, get firewall software. Zonealarm is nice, free and works REALLY well.
Zone Alarm
Also be sure that file and print sharing are enabled in your networking protocols.

;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.