Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 computers...A) WinXP_Pro... B) & C) WinXP_Home. I have enables File and Print Sharing on all 3 computers...My current configuration is as follows: A & B can see & access each other from A computer; B & A from B computer, ABC from C computer. A & B can see C, but is unable to access C. I tried NetBEUI, IPX-SPX struck out on them...reverted back to TCP-IP and that's where I am now. I have Zone Alarm Pro v4 on all 3 computers... Adminstrator & 1 user account on XP Home computers, Administrator invisible from User Logins. I have Zone Alarm set for Trusted Zone. From A & B, I continue to get the "computer name" inaccessible due... message, and I'm at a loss as to why. I've done every combination of protocols, followed other advice from web links..user accounts, disabling firewalls, and I'm stuck with C seeing the whole network, and AB unable to seeing C.

Accessing the internet...a ok! Works great! My goal was to make the Home LAN separate from the internet, but none of the computers could see, let alone access each other despite information on the web and WinXP Help and MS Technet to the contrary.

Literature I've been able to find continues to suggest using TCP-IP, and of course with a solid hardware &/or software firewall, which is my current setup now.

To be specific... I have a DSL modem...Westell... coming into a hub...my 3 computers hooked up into that. I'm aware of other configurations, but I wanted the ability to turn our computers off and still have the internet available for the 3rd.

The only thing out of the ordinary is this. C computer refuses to change "workgroup" names. AB, not a problem. C computer has a WinBond W89C240 ethernet card, max speed 10 mbps. I updated the driver per another suggestion. My other 2 computers have 3Com's rated for both 10 & 100 mbps.

I'm at a loss as to why I am unable to change the workgroup name on C computer, and unable to access files and folders from C on AB computers, yet C; sees & accesses everything. I've doubled & tripled check the firewall, AV, ran all the windows updates there are, and after a week of wracking my brains, I'm out of solutions. It's sort of funny, that C computer is being set up for my 3 teens who are all in high school this autumn!

Thanks for any help, ideas you may have, and have a wonderful day; thank you!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The problem appears to be that you have the wrong workgroup name, as you have mentioned. I'd figure out why that is not allowing you to change, I've never seen that be an issue before. I'm assuming you're logging into the "C" computer as admin when you try to change the workgroup name, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's correct

John - that's correct. I login as administrator on all 3 computers. In reference to the wrong workgroup, I thought that too, but this computer, "C" in my description was able to access bothe workgroups, one being itself which always defaulted to "MSHOME". I could change A & B, but not C, and that's the mystery I can't get around.

I thoroughly did my homework on this issue, and I've never heard of a computer regardless of how many times I manually changed the name to correspond to the other two, it was always upon restart defaulted back to MSHOME..despite messages prior to the restart that say "Welcome to xxxx newsgroup" Restart the computer... After restart, it reverts back to MSHOME...and to be frank I'm stumped. I've updated the computer, turned off AV, turned of XP's internal firewall, turned off Zone Alarm... This computer is XP_Home, so it isn't MMC or gpedit.msc I'm having to pull hairs with.

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks nevertheless!

You can access XP_Home... I stumbled on it by pure accident, but to the same degree you can tinker with settings in XP_Pro. XP_Pro follows common sense logic... Home...I've never had a workgroupd default to MSHOME no matter how many times I've attempted to change it... In the end, I changed the other two to MSHOME, but I still get that wonderful message we refer to as Windows Error 1385.

For what it's worth, the computer is in dire need of some more RAM..currently 128, and in need of a newer NIC. I read that too could be a problem, but like many things this week, they were the 1st time I've ever heard of them.

As for whether I have any pistols. Nope, 3 teens in the house! What I do collect are lots of headaches, and of course grey hair!

Thanks for replying.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.