Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attached my xp drive as a slave to my 2000 pro drive and booted. It checked my xp drive and then started to truncate everything. I now cannot reboot my xp drive. I tried using xp cd to repair but it says I can't due to error on partition, drive full etc. I have tried my friends partition software but it finds no errors. When I use his xp drive to see my xp drive, it says it is unreadable. Is there something out there to repair my truncated files? Is this fixable or is formating my only option. I am desperate to retain my xp drive data. Using parition magic 8, it shows my xp drive as a type 07 and my 2000 as a FAT drive. I have spend days searching for answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Re: ntfs?

effex said:
FAT cannot read NTFS.
HUH? FAT and NTFS are filesystem formats, and they don't read anything. W2K and XP will both freely access either FAT or NTFS filesystems. Since that's the two O/S versions being discussed, this comment has no relevance.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
VancouverBC said:
I attached my xp drive as a slave to my 2000 pro drive and booted. It checked my xp drive and then started to truncate everything. I now cannot reboot my xp drive. I tried using xp cd to repair but it says I can't due to error on partition, drive full etc. I have tried my friends partition software but it finds no errors. When I use his xp drive to see my xp drive, it says it is unreadable. Is there something out there to repair my truncated files? Is this fixable or is formating my only option. I am desperate to retain my xp drive data. Using parition magic 8, it shows my xp drive as a type 07 and my 2000 as a FAT drive. I have spend days searching for answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I believe you have to be at least at SP2 on W2K to read XP NTFS files, if you attempted to read this with W2K-SP1, it would probably fail. I don't understand how it started truncating files, did you do a CHKDSK?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry

Most power users prefer the NTFS partitioning system for Win 2K/XP over the older, less efficient FAT32, not only because NTFS is very stable and handles large hard drives better than FAT32, but also because there are other features for Windows 2K/XP machines that make NTFS more desirable, like file compression and encryption. The NTFS file system can read anything from the FAT32 file system, but not vice versa, which means that you can convert from FAT32 to...

Source: http://www.toejumper.net/bleed9/win2k9.htm

Paragraph near the bottom of the page.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, just because you read it on the Internet, that doesn't make it right. :D FAT and NTFS filesystems don't do any reading/writing, it's the O/S that does that. It's true that using Microsoft tools, you can't convert an NTFS filesystem to FAT, but if you've ever used Partition Magic, you'd realize that's just a Microsoft limitation, PM does it just fine.

To address the other advice, that of converting FAT to NTFS using the W2K CONVERT tool, bad advice! Since that tool has a design flaw, it ends up making an NTFS filesystem with 512 byte clusters. Performance with such small clusters sucks, since there's a lot more overhead in managing the directory structure. Once again, Partition Magic comes to the rescue and allows you to resize the clusters to the more managable 4kb that is the NTFS default when you format a partition with either W2K or XP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.