Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the question posed to me by a friend:

"One more odd-ball question… if you click on the time in the bottom right hand corner of my office computer, it has the correct time and date. However, when I save new files and look at the date (or transfer to FTP), it says June 2099! I wouldn’t think of it being a huge problem except when I try and back-up files on my computer to CD, it won’t save these because it doesn’t recognize the date. I tried google searching the problem and couldn’t find anything. Ever heard of anything like this?"

I had no answers for my friend- I have never seen this before. Has anyone else ever seen this happen?

·
TSF Emeritus
15,079 Posts
Hello,

this is a strange problem, try this:

System File checker: sfc/ scanow

**Note: You will need A Windows XP CD for this exercise**

• Please insert the Windows XP CD into your CD/DVD drive.
  • Click Start, then Run
  • Copy and paste the command below into the text box (with out the quotation marks)
    " sfc /scannow "
  • Click Ok
  • During the scan you may be asked to Insert the A Windows XP CD, if this happens just click retry and let it do its thing.
Please post back with the results.

if this doesnt work, can you give me a file location which this problem happens with, so we can run some tests.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm being told that System File Checker didn't work...

He has also just told me about the following:

"Another thing that’s been happening over the past couple months (possibly related) is every time I restart my computer, it runs a CHKDSK before Windows boots up. CHKDSK is a 5-step system verification that takes just over 30 minutes to complete. It never reports a problem and says something about “system NTFS - volume label clean” when finished. Do you know how to remove this so I don’t have to waste a ½ hour every time I restart?"

·
Registered
235 Posts
DATE PROBLEM - Check the bios date - tap DEL or F2 (or sometimes ESC) on startup to enter the bios setup utility. Once in there its pretty obvious how to change the date, it will be in CMOS settings, there are help messages on the right side of the screen.

CHKDSK PROBLEM - Check the scheduled tasks and modify. Here is a little guide from the Micro$oft website:

Opening scheduled tasks to modify them
To modify a scheduled task, click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Scheduled Tasks. The Scheduled Tasks window opens so that you can modify the settings.

If its not in Scheduled Tasks, or modifying it doesn't help you could always boot into safe mode (F8 or F5 on startup) unhide system files, and find the following file... C:\WINDOWS\system32\autochk.exe. Rename it to autochk.exe.bak then reboot into regular windows xp, and it shouldnt be able to run chkdisk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.