Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st of all hello i'm a newbie here and this is my 1st post.
i have a 3.2ghz socket 478 800mhz 1mb prescott, installed on a dead MSI 865pe-neo2 PS, installed are 4 sets of ddr400 kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 512MB (equals 2gig of ram). the reason why the motherboard died is quite simple, it died.
so i found a good deal on an FIC P4-875P MAX motherboard which is brand new and quite cheap.
now the BIOS installed on it does not support my CPU since it's a 1st version bios so i do update it successfully using my other 2.66ghz 533mhz 512kb processor. after that the new bios is installed and running perfectly fine.
i install the 3.2ghz processor and i get nothing.
it still won't work.
i have tested the 3.2 on an intel 865g and it runs perfectly fine on windows plays games etc...
the ram also are fine since they had been detected on that same board with the 2.66 processor.
now i look up the cpu table on the FIC website and they advertize it does run on it.
this leaves me quite helpless here.
usually on boot using the 2.66 processor i do see the port 80 in action runing numbers i do not understand and it ends up giving me a C5 and system boots.
on the 3.2 i only get an FF from the start, and it stays there with the vga not starting and nothing really running but the fans.
i also tested the mobo on a 2.8ghz 800mhz, 512k cache northwood, and upon start, i get numbers running on port 80, but again the vga doesn't start.
any help would be really nice.
another thing, i went to the award website and they say that they will send new BIOS through email if i fill out a form putting the bios string and the date and blablabla.
is this worth a shot?
thanks again for the help

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Have you tried clearing cmos,? then double checking settings in bios?
With the 3.2ghz cpu installed. Is power supply up to the task..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the power supply is up to the task, it's a 400W true power,
and it can handle easily the whole system with 4 harddrives, 2 cdroms, 2 pumps for liquid cooling system, and around 8 fans installed on the whole case.
while flashing the system and trying to boot it, the cdroms and harddrives were not installed and only 2 fans were running for the liquid cooling kit.
on the other hand, regarding the bios, i have cleared it twice to restore original configuration. once removing the jumper that clears it and the second time when removing the battery itself.
it's the 1st time i face a problem like this and i am starting to think that maybe the motherboard does not support the CPU while on the FIC website they say it does.
i also contacted the FIC technical support with no answer whatsoever yet.
so i'm quite helpless to say the least.
any ideas are welcome.
cheers.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I think you need to rethink your PSU requirements.
The Intel 875P chipset came in 2 versions. The earlier version did not support Prescott CPU's.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I think you have a power supply problem, because a 400 watt (even an Antec) is most likely not up to that task. You do have a lot of goodies on that rig.

Use the power supply information under my signature to calculate it, then add 30 % and that will tell minimal requrements for your supply. We do not recommend you run any unit with minimal requirements.

This will tell us at least what the ballpark of what you need so we can go from there. Post back when you get that done and let us know what it says so we can either rule that out or look elsewhere.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
There is no way in Hades that a 400 watt power supply is gonna pull that set-up! I dont care who makes the unit!

I read several tech bulletins where an Antec Tru-Power 550 could not pull an Intel P-4 Prescott 3.2 socket 478 with a watercooler. and subsequently it voided the antec warranty for excessive load. Much less with four drives and all the other draw; you have on this system.

IMHO I would be looking at the Antec 650 watt Trio 12V rails on newegg.com for $99.00 after rebate

that should meet your power needs adaquately. The Antec Trio is 85% efficient the Tru-power units are only 70% efficient that factor alone speaks volumes of the comparision

good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hello again everyone and merry xmas.
ok i am starting to see where the problem might be and i will test the system on a 600W power supply.
i do know that maybe my system isn't quite most power efficient since i did forget to mention that there are 2 fans for HDDs, 2 fans for case, 3 fans for liquid cooling kit radiatior plus 2 pumps, an ASUS 6800 512MB, so hehehe yeah you might be right.
but the thing is that awkwardly, the 3.2 prescott seems to be running very well on my other board which is an intel 865GBF with 1 gig of kingston ram (heatsink is a zalman 7000cu) on a 300PSU.
and i did install a 500W PSU on the 875P, installed the 2.66 in it, liquid cooling running, 4 hdd including an adaptec ultraSCSI interface, with a 10000RPM, and system is running fine.
while if i remove all HDDS and extra interfaces and try starting that same board with the 3.2 prescott, upon startup there is no activity on the port 80 (it gets stuck on FF and stays there), and logically the VGA won't boot.
the normal process as i have noticed would be for the port 80 to show some activity and run some numbers, then VGA boots, and again some numbers keep running on port 80. but that is not the case when the 3.2 is running.
i will give a try on a 600W branded PSU tomorrow and will keep you guys posted.
thanks again for the tips and have a merry xmas.
cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok problem almost solved.
here's what i did.... in order to make sure the problem was from the power supply, i removed all the fans and everything and connected them to an adjacent case which was running (including liquid cooling kit), so the fans are running but the board isn't.
i plug the 500W PSU on the board and this PSU is only supplying the board which has no fans running and has only cpu,1 stick of ram (512) and vga on it.
i turn on the power and...... TADA..... port 80 numbers running, vga boots, i enter bios and the 3.2 prescott is running fine with a temperature of 30 degrees.
now i'm really freakin happy here.. i turn off the pc.... install the 3 other ram to get 2 gigs, and same setup here.... and no ... doesn't work this time.
but at least it's a great step for humanity.
so tomorrow i'm getting a 650W PSU (true power) which will empty the remaning cash in my pocket... and hope for the best.
thanks alot again and will keep you informed once the set is installed and the machine running.
so i guess u guys were right, hehehehe.
cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hello again,
there are a few updates, and awkwardly, things didnt go as i expected.
i purchased a 650W PSU (it's sexy, hehehe).
i turn on the power and...
same same.
it doesn't boot.
now i get really pissed off, and suddenly an idea that i have no idea why didn't come up to me earlier came up to me.
i press the reset button
and the system boots fine.
install all the ram, turn on the power, doesn't boot.
press reboot, system boots fine.
took off the 650W PSU, reinstalled the 400W PSU, turn on power, as usual nothing.
press reboot, system boots fine.
so i was wrong thinking that the problem might have been the PSU.
i'm also glad the system boots, but now we're into another problem.
why won't the system boot from the 1st time?
why should i press reboot everytime in order for it to run?
but let's say plainly, i do have a smile on my face right now cos i had so much trouble from this.
if any of you guys have any idea why this would happen, any help is welcome.
meanwhile i'd like to thank you all for the support you gave me.
cheers

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Make sure the front panel header wires aren't turned around. Like, you must have the off/on switch wires on the off/on header and the reset wires on the reset wires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hello again.
here's the latest news.
as i try installing windows, (i still have to press reset everytime i power on)
the system hangs screen freezes on the second phase of install of windows.
it is actually freezing when it saves settings the last 5 minutes of install.
so i change the harddrive, install a different one, try again, and again system freezes. i change the cables, try again, system freezes. i would like to point out that it doesn't freeze at the exact point everytime, but it always freezes somewhere after they ask me to setup the network connections.
i took one of the drives, install it on a different machine, and it installs normally.
so the problem isn't from the drives. it isn't from the cables, it isn't from the windows cd.
i took out all the extra cards, disabled LAN, firewire, audio, almost everything too, and left only the HDD, and one cdrom to install windows.
i try again and bang same same, it hangs.
so i'm getting an awkward feeling that maybe that bios i flashed isn't too good.
should i try flashing it again using a different floppy drive?
or is my problem different?
the temperature sensors are running normal and system doesn't seem to be overheating, plus the front panel connectors are installed correctly since i removed them all except for the power one.
thanks again and hope i'm not boring u with my everlasting problems
cheers

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Sure sounds like something in that box is not connected up correctly. YOu mentioned the temperature sensors show the temp to be correct, well, what is it showing both for at-rest and under-stress?

For a basic hookup, what type (sata or ide) and brand name of hard drive are you going to be using, so we can go through the setup step-by-step walk through with you? Also, tell me which IDE (primary-secondary) port are you planning on connecting it to. Last, which IDE port are you planning on connecting your cDRom to?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hello everyone,
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

ok let's get to business here,
there have been some updates i'd like to inform you of regarding the system.
now like i said earlier, connectors are installed correctly.
maybe you misunderstood me here, when i press the power button, the system fires up (powers on), but it gets stuck on port 80 with the FF and vga doesn't boot. now while the system is running, i press the reset button and now port 80 starts running numbers and vga and bios boots.
now here's the update.
remember i was talking about windows getting stuck while installing on a certain phase.
that has changed.
if the system reboots after the format and windows installs necessary files, the system will hang while installing.
But, if i power down the system after reboot and after necessary files installation, windows will install normally.
again i have to power down the system (not reset, i still have to go through the turn on, press the reset, bla bla bla in order for it to start) in order for the 1st windows boot to start correctly otherwise it will get stuck.
now i am writing you here on that exact machine. but there is definitely something wrong since i have to power down the system everytime, and press the reset after power everytime i install a driver or anything.
i have been thinking of reflashing the BIOS again with the same Bios version but this time will let the flash update bios from the HDD instead of the floppy
(1st time i flashed it, the files were on the floppy and the flash happened from there).
so the question that goes is: can i flash the same exact Bios over the board again? and if so, how?
i know it's been a long one guys so thanks for your patience.
cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.