Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my computer is getting almost a couple years old and I have a few questions...

well first, Any suggestions on protecting it from viruses and such, i mean, there isnt anything real important on here I need to protect..... Well I have norton antivirus 2002 that came with it, but if i try to update it , It said i needed to renew my subscription, and it got into something about it wanting me to buy something... So do i need to go out and buy 2004? Also this windows keep popping up saying i have "spyware" on my computer

Every time i try to bring up the task manager, it comes up real quickler, then it disappears, anyone know whats up with this? Lately, whenever i try to launch norton, it does the same thing, pops up and disappears.

also its making alot more noise compared to when i first got it.

well, any help would be apreciated.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds like it could be a virus. When was the last time you were able to update Norton? You might not be protected against things like the Blaster Worm.

I highly recommend a complete reformat just to clean everything up. You'll then have a new subscription to your Norton 2002, although I do recommend you use your upgrade rebate to pick up SystemWorks 2004 real cheap. Be sure to grab all your updates at Windows Updates and your component manufacturers' websites.

As for spyware, grab this program and run it often. Be sure to keep it updated, too:
Ad-Aware

·
Registered
139 Posts
Zzat said:
well my computer is getting almost a couple years old and I have a few questions...

well first, Any suggestions on protecting it from viruses and such, i mean, there isnt anything real important on here I need to protect..... Well I have norton antivirus 2002 that came with it, but if i try to update it , It said i needed to renew my subscription, and it got into something about it wanting me to buy something... So do i need to go out and buy 2004? Also this windows keep popping up saying i have "spyware" on my computer

Every time i try to bring up the task manager, it comes up real quickler, then it disappears, anyone know whats up with this? Lately, whenever i try to launch norton, it does the same thing, pops up and disappears.

also its making alot more noise compared to when i first got it.

well, any help would be apreciated.
Yup, you are gonna hear it!

I cannnot believe that ANYONE who reads a newspaper, watches the news, participates on a message board does not understand the dangers of running a PC these days without any protection! You have to update your antivirus EVERY WEEK, at least, and have a third-party firewall! Even getting anti-spyware/adware blockers is essential! UPDATE Windows with the security patches! There must have been 100 of them since you got your machine. NOT to do so is just asking for trouble!

PAY for the Norton subscription renewal! Get a firewall! Get some spyware blockers. There are even some free ones that work like antivirus programs.

Sheesh!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im sorry, but i havent used the computer much, and Ive been planning on getting into all the computer stuff and figureing our more how it works...

but for now,

first, what exactly do you mean when you say "reformat"

also, what is this rebate you speak of, I still have all the papers and everything from when i got the computer... the norton2002 came with it... so how do i buy system works using this reate?

one last thing, is a firewall really needed, or is it just some extra protection if i want it....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Zzat said:
well im sorry, but i havent used the computer much, and Ive been planning on getting into all the computer stuff and figureing our more how it works...

but for now,

first, what exactly do you mean when you say "reformat"

also, what is this rebate you speak of, I still have all the papers and everything from when i got the computer... the norton2002 came with it... so how do i buy system works using this reate?

one last thing, is a firewall really needed, or is it just some extra protection if i want it....
Well, reformatting means to wipe the HD clean and reinstall the operating system.

These days, you MUST have a firewall! Too many sick people out there.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
jgvernonco’s
recommended
security
software

Zonealarm Firewall (free edition) Zone Labs:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...reeDownload.jsp

Free antivirus software

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html

Spyware blocking programs (free):

Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard (the link will take you to the Blaster page. The menu bar at the top will take you to the Guard page. These two programs, written by the same developer, work hand-in-hand to protect you from invasions).

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Spyware Killers (free)!

Spybot Search & Destroy

http://download.com.com/3000-2144-1...&tag=button

Adaware
Ad-aware - Software - Lavasoft

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

I run both of these, as they occasionally find something that the other did not.

Additionally, Microsoft has made some poor choices about default settings in the OSs, resulting in multiple security weaknesses. Gibson Research has a number of little programs that will help you close security holes without having to edit your registry, wander My Computer, etc., just to get secure. I highly recommend this resource.

Gibson Research Corporation Home Page

http://grc.com/default.htm

The secret to running these programs is to update at least weekly! Update Adaware and Spybot before you run a scan every time. Don’t forget to update Blaster and Guard when you are doing your maintenance. Make sure the antivirus software us up-to-date. Put a note on your computer reminding you to do it!

Last, but not least, if you are a Microsoft user, update, update, update! Put it on your list! The only Trojan that ever made it through my security did not take me down because I was current on my security patches, which limited what the Trojan could do. (It was still a big pain, though). Most of you will have a Windows Update selection when you click “start”, but if you do not, here’s a link:

Microsoft Windows Update

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Stay safe! Enjoy the WWW!

·
Registered
266 Posts
is it necessary to keep your house front door locked?
:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, Thanks for all the replies.

ok first, reformating it sounds like something that would help, so, how exactly should I do this. I still have the original windows cds and everything. I know like ive come off sounding pretty dumb in the computer area, but im not totaly new to the thing, and i think if its not an extremely complictaed thing i should be able to do it.

OK. on the antivirus thing, all this free stuff... well whats the disadvantage to getting it free? like i know all there has to be a difference froma ll that high priced norton stuff, and the free links you gave me there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.