Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://binaryuniverse.net

Yesterday evening I released a new version of Binary Universe, a technology website I founded. I've kept it valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional as far as I know. My question is whether you have any feedback about the content or (especially) the design?

So far some of the complaints I've received have been:

1) the navigation buttons' font looks out of place
2) the navigation buttons' font should be a darker color

Would you agree with those? D'you have anything else you'd Like to have?

-Ch4r

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,274 Posts
Hi Ch4r, the navigation buttons have a feel that references something like a Marvel style. If you like that, and you like how they look, keep 'em. If you want to keep the design unified, a cleaner sans-serif like Verdana will do you well.
I have some other advice if you'd like it... if not, ignore my ramblings!
Your main textblock could use alittle tlc for two reasons:
1: It's too wide for all those poor folks on 800 x 600. Have some pity and size it down for them.
2: Legibility and composition. The ideal line length for legibility is around 66 characters (letters plus spaces). You're at double that. It will always help your composition if you consider your text as a design element instead of words. Play around with the layout a bit to see if you can get an arrangement that you like. It's a good design. With alittle more work it will be even better.
-Six

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
1: It's too wide for all those poor folks on 800 x 600. Have some pity and size it down for them.
Looks a little cramped in 1280x1024 :smile:

Really though, the site looks nice, and has a lot of content- which is really the more important factor in the design of any website. I do like the color scheme. What would add a little bit to the page is a mouseover color change for the menu items- it would just give them a more tactile feel.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,274 Posts
Fox said:
Looks a little cramped in 1280x1024 :smile:

Really though, the site looks nice, and has a lot of content- which is really the more important factor in the design of any website. I do like the color scheme. What would add a little bit to the page is a mouseover color change for the menu items- it would just give them a more tactile feel.
Didn't mean size down the layout, just the textblock. Could have a 2 column layout or something along those lines. (I'm in 1280 x 1024 also... I'm spoiled and don't like anything less.) Regardless, you're correct. it does look alittle cramped... alittle padding would do the text wonders.

·
Registered
252 Posts
umm well it may just be my ie or something, but when i highlight the text at the top of the page (e.g. in the lectures page), it changes the backround behind the text from a dark grey to a light grey, its a minor issue but for some reason got on my nerves

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys. They all seem pretty good, so all look into them and discuss them with the rest of the staff.

SLG: not really sure what's wrong... it's fine for me.

-Ch4r

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.