Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have Fedora Core 4 on an Intel box and have had some issues with some of our staff not having rights to all the files.

Today, one of our techs tried to solve this by running the following 2 commands at the root:

find . -type f -exec chmod 666 {} \;
find . -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;

Linux nolonger boots.

We can load the recovery CD to access a command line, and the files appear to be intact, but the GUI and services like FTP won't load.

My question: What can we do to restore this without doing a reinstall and reloading our not so complete data backup?

Thanks in advance!
Brad

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't really see how doing a find command could prevent linux from booting.

And the permissions stuff is easily solved by editing user groups and permissions

As far as your problem we need to figure out exactally what caused it before we can figure out how to fix it.

I would however suggest that you stop using Fedora. The new distro is very buggy and beyond annoying. Switch to something reliable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Definitely get of FC4. FC3 is much more reliable. Suse or Knoppix is a good choice.
I suggest you use the recovery CD and see if you can copy all your files to a pendrive or something similiar and then reformat.
I don't see how a find or chmod could stop booting. How far does it get? Do you turn the box on and get to GRUB, and then get an error? Does it just do nothing at startup?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.