Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some trouble booting Fedora on my system. I downloaded the DVD ISO from Fedora's website, extracted the files using WinRAR and burned them to a DVD using Nero. However I cannot get it to boot when I startup my computer and the DVD is in the DVD Drive, I can't find anything to make floppy boot disks either and i've even tried to use Microsoft Virtual Machine with the Capute ISO Function, still no luck!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Daniel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you boot off other discs, like a Windows install disc? If you can, try burning the image again using a different program. I assume you can't, though, if floppys don't work either.

You probably need to change the disk order in your BIOS settings, so that it will boot the DVD drive before the hard drive. I don't know exactly where the setting is on your computer, but when you're computer first boots, see if a key like 'del' or 'F2' loads the settings page.

Also, on some newer computers, you have to press a special key to boot off anything but the hard drive. I have to press F12 quickly when my laptop first boots.

(and I'm pretty sure Fedora linux uses a kernel that is too large to fit on a floppy, so you probably won't find any floppy images for the installer)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Don't extract the files from the iso file. Just burn it directly to the cd or dvd. You should be able to open the file with nero. If that fails there is a tool on the cd to help you but it's tricky to use from XP.

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
Or you could use roxio (I am assuming that it comes with all new comps) because you just double click it and it will start burning. But yeah, don't extract, go straight to burning.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
837 Posts
yeah... you leave the .iso file like that and burn it as an iso file. your burning software should havre the option...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Now that I'm more alert.

The tool on the disk is an image file you can use to force a system to boot to the Fedora install.

You can find it in /images/diskboot.img. You'll have to write that to a USB drive (it's too big for a floppy) and have it and the disk in when you boot up. The trick is writing the image. You can't really do it from Windows, nor have I found any good thrid party tools. However there is a linux command called dd that solves the problem in no time. You'd have to download Knoppix too and run it from there.

But this is a headache and frankly not worth the time for what Fedora gives you, Use Ubuntu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.