Tech Support banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,799 Posts
In Safe Mode, press the Windows key+R. in the Run box type msconfig and press Enter. At the Boot tab uncheck the box next to Safe Boot, make sure all boxes are unchecked here. Apply and Ok, restart in Normal Mode.
As for resetting your Microsoft User Password, it is pretty simple, Try to login to the link in Post # 17, if that fails, click the Forgot Password link. It will ask you your security questions which you answered when you created your password and or send you a code to your Cell Phone or Email. Type the code in the box and change your password

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I got out of Safe Mode through a command prompt.
When I changed my password it was in accounts.
No questions were asked.
Still not working but MS says all accounts are working.
Have not come across Forgot Password option.
Was able to log in to link in post 17 with new password but was unsure where to go from there.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry.
I logged in to the p17 link on a different machine.
Firefox is not working on the faulty machine so I have no browser access.

·
Premium Member
41,799 Posts
?? the Edge browser is built into Windows 10 on your faulty machine. So, you DO have Browser access.
But it doesn't matter what computer you use if you are changing your Microsoft Password.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you.
As far as I know, I only changed the password on the problem machine.
I have never used Edge but it is probably time to start now.
The best thing at this stage is probably to have Ms send me a new password by phone text
from the link that you kindly provided, but I cannot see in the link where to request the password, nor
did I see the questions
I can get into the link alright but I get lost after that.
Thank you for your time and your patience.

·
Premium Member
41,799 Posts
On whatever computer you are on, open your Web Browser of choice or Edge and type or click on this link https://account.microsoft.com and press Enter, you have to type in your User Name (ie) Email Address and your Password. If you can login, then your password should still work, if you Can't login, then press Forgot Password once the login fails, If you successfully logged in, you can change your password following these instructions Change your Microsoft account password If you didn't register your cell phone with Microsoft to recover your Password, then that won't be an option.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you so much spunk.funk.
I had already changed the account passworrd but it still didn't work.
As the problem was in it's third day on Sunday and as I was in danger of making changes to
a perfectly working second machine, switching from one to the other, I decised to try Microsoft
Support for the first time.
I did not know what to expect but they were extremely helpful, just like yourselves, and fixed the problem
remotely.
They said that the problem was caused by a Temporary Profile.
Laptop is working perfectly and I am writing on it now having finally got access to Firefox.

I want to thank you, spunk funk, for always being so patient and helpful, and for always being so willing to
go above and beyond the call of duty.

Grateful thanks too, to Corday, always very helpful.
His suggestion for the update resulted in a successful install of the update.

Finally, thanks to oscer1.
I am not a fan of reinstalls but his contribution is much appreciated.

Sincere thanks to everyone for being so kind and helpful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got in to Safe Mode and everything seems fine there.
There was no box to untick when exiting safe mode.
Still unable to get in to normal mode.
When I enter pin a notice comes up saying Preparing Windows, and
then it's back to the same Can't Sign In To Your Account after a while.
A notice flashed by about a temporary account or profile.
Check whats open in you tray ^ down near the sound icon close any item you fine and try reinstalling

·
Registered
1 Posts
A lot of updates install without problem but not this one.
I am still on Build 1909.
Read somewhere here that someone had great success with Update Assistant , but that
failed too.
Am on a Lenovo Windows 10 Laptop with 1TB, and 8 GB capacity.
Would appreciate any help.
I'm not sure if you're having the same problem I had. I finally got Win 20H2 through windows update thinking they had fixed the Conexant driver issue. Not the case. My install stopped at 61% three times. I too thought of reinstalling the os. Instead I went into device manager and under audio inputs and outputs and under sound, video and game controllers I uninstalled all entries including, on my system, Intel display audio. If you do the same don't restart your system as the pop up will advise. Instead, go back to windows update and start the download again. Mine quickly got to 45% and kept going. The entire process from download to complete install took over 4 hours. So be patient. while you're in control panel reset your power options to turn off the monitor and put the computer to sleep to never. If the pc goes into standby or sleep/hybernate it will disrupt the process. The reason you should not restart the pc after uninstalling the audio drivers is because windows will automatically reinstall the faulty ones. After the install I lost my sound. Going back into device manager I saw windows installed the generic Microsoft audio drivers. Uninstall those and restart. Windows should now download and install the updated drivers and the sound should return. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thank you.
It is sorted now but I, too, lost sound during the process.
As I say, everything is fine now.
Famous last words!!!

·
Premium Member
41,799 Posts
Press the Windows key+X and choose Device Manager. If there are any devices with Yellow Flags, they need drivers. You can go to your computer or motherboard manufacturers download drivers site, type in you make and model and download the Audio driver for your model, along with any other drivers you need from the Device Manager.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts