Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through past posts with a search on fdisk /mbr with only a few results. Not finding the answer I was looking for I have to ask for advise.

I was told to do fdisk /mbr twice. In the posts I saw with the /mbr switch advised doing it once. I thought because of having two master boot records the two times seemed to be prudent.

It has not been clear if you should or should not reboot between each fdisk /mbr nor if it should be done before or after the fdisk of the hard drive(s).

I figure either way is ok to do, but would like to know for sure what is the correct method.

CyberMom

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There is no reason to do the command twice, it writes the MBR the same way every time. I've never heard that advice, and I've also never run the command twice. It's always worked for me. :)

·
hey
10,189 Posts
I've heard of doing it three times for viruses. Not sure if it really matters or not, but I have heard that.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I can't imagine what writing the same information to the same sector would do, this sure sounds line an urban legend that just won't die. :no: The bright side is that it won't hurt anything. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Morning!

Well, this did spark a little flame didn't it? (LOL sorry), the advise was taken and I will continue to follow it.

I have finished with the computer that was giving me such a headache. Thanks to my new friends. She is purring as fast as she can on 42 MB of Ram. ;)

I followed the link that Doonz provided and there was interesting reading there. Thank you Doonz.
JohnW and Danrak your input was appreciated and helpful also.
:D

My next quest is to "Master" Partition Magic. Just kidding I know I won't be able to "Master" it, just need to learn how to use it without killing anything. I have a few 1 Gig HDs and will abuse them as I learn. Some folks like Ghost, others like Drive Image Pro. I have used the Drive Image Pro, and the newer verison has PQMagic with it. But for some reason, PQM makes me nervous.

Oh yeah, have any of you used a program called Belarc Advisor? It pretty neat tells you all about your computer. Good for those who have lost their keycodes or what component is in the machine and they don't what to open it up and lookup the driver..etc. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Back to the subject of fdisk /mbr. I think that the matter is settled now. How about you all?

Thanks again!
CyberMom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.