Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Manager, TSF Articles
38,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem with my washing machine that, despite my physics background, I can't explain.

When a wash cycle is finished the machine becomes unusable. If I remove the plug from the wall socket and then plug it back in it makes no difference. However, if I remove the fuse from the (UK) plug and put the same fuse back in, the machine works. There is no scorching on the fuse clips that disturbing the fuse would clear. This happens after every cycle. It just doesn't make sense. Any bright ideas, anyone?

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,621 Posts
Define unusable? I ran into one that had the lid switch disconnected. It would run one load through and then refuse to run. If you unplugged it for 30 seconds, it would run one more load and then stop. Fixing the lid switch solved the problem.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,796 Posts
Still can be the Cord(cable). Replace the fuse anyway and that will narrow down the problem.

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,621 Posts
I've replaced the plug and socket to no avail; I've still got the same problem. You would say that narrows it down to the cable, but why would taking the fuse out and putting it back make it work?
Since there's no power on the machine when you're tinkering with the fuse, it is 99.9% that it's either the fuse or the cable.

33,796 Posts
When it's not working, replace the machine plug with a different device and see what happens.

· Manager, TSF Articles
38,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahh, you mean an intermittent fault with the socket?
I can assure you there is absolutely nothing wrong with the socket. I replaced it and, out of curiosity, dismantled the original. Same with the plug.

33,796 Posts
John: In Post #16, I was suggesting you try anything that's 230V, 50Hz in the same socket as the machine after failure, but before replacing the fuse.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts