Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question on memory. i ran a memory test on a pc that was rebooting and one of the two ram sticks failed 'advanced line addressing'. the question is what would cause memory to fail?
this pc has been running for over a year with no problems and no one has been manhandling any of the internal components.

·
Registered
462 Posts
nothing causes memory to fail really it just happens, by the looks of the error message the motherboard aint reading the ram. I know this sounds stupid but how about taking the stick out and putting it back in just in case sumtimes this fixes it or even moving the stick to another slot to see if it is a motherboard problem, hope this helps ;-)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well there were 2 512MB sticks in there. i ran the test with both and then one each. as it happens i didn't reseat the ram before doing the test. i will put it back in tomorrow at lunch and run the test again. otherwise the pc is doing fine with the 512MB.

·
Registered
462 Posts
just try what i said and you should be fine, if your not ask for some more suggestions

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i ran memtest-86 (i was using some version of pc-check) on the faulty memory and i got errors on 2 of the 3 runs, so it looks like it's for the bin!

·
Registered
462 Posts
yeh sounds like your right there mate, oh well these things happen ya kno

·
Registered
462 Posts
cheers for that linderman, i got loads of these, another is 'fightin for peace is like shaggin for virginity!'

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.