Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave: Hi, I'm new to these forums and the search doesn't seem to be working for me right now so forward apologies if there's already a post with this problem. Anyway, here goes;

I have a HP Compaq Presario V5000 laptop that runs Windows XP Professional Edition. I was browsing the internet when Avast came up with a warning that a Trojan was attempting to download onto my computer. I chose the recommended option to put it into quarantine and my laptop froze completely, so I ended up shutting the whole thing down. Now when I try to start it up I get the following error message:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

My recovery disks start to run and then come up with the same error anyway and I've run a hard drive test in BIOS that says that my hard drive is fine, so that's not the problem. I also get a different error when I try to load in Safe Mode;

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I've also tried logging in with the Last Known Good Configuration, which gave me the first error, choosing the format option with my recovery disks also gave me the first error and my XP cd doesn't even register as being in there when I try to use that. I'm really starting to run out of ideas (I came across this website on the fourth page of searching forums on google :rolleyes: ) and so any suggestions would be very much appreciated 'cause I have no idea anymore! :4-dontkno
Thanks in advance :heartlove

Lathana

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.