Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently NTFS is the way to go for XP. Wish i had researched that before i installed XP Pro w/SP2 on my machine!

Here's the deal: I've installed my o/s and set it up on a FAT32 system. I also set up XP Pro w/o SP2 on my old machine using FAT32 and it was as stable as i could ever dreamed of, being on 24/7 and only turned off for cleaning/upgrades with only 1 freeze, and that being caused by a video card hardware malfunction. I have XP Pro X64 on another hard drive, as i originally put it on my new computer but soon went back to the 32 bit until more drivers are available, and plan on switching back to X64.

Question: is it possible to convert the file system to NTFS without losing any data? Is it as stable as i've experienced FAT32 to be? Will i see a noticiable performance increase by switching to NTFS? What problems am i looking at running into if/when i do convert? In your opinion, is it worth doing it just to switch back to X64 when more drivers are available, say no more than 6 months from now?

I'm not dissatisfied with the performance of my machine, in fact i'm quite happy and may not even switch, but being a male i like to tinker with things and make them faster.. so when i found that NTFS may be faster than what i'm using, obviously i'm going to look into it!

Any opinions welcome!!

Thank you in advance,
Tim

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
In answer to your question: Yes, it is possible to convert from Fat32 to NTSF from within an existing WinXP installation without loosing data.

Read the following page for a detailed description of how to do it.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php
Please keep in mind that converting a drive takes time. You should be prepared to have your computer siting there for a long time doing nothing but converting the drive's format. That said, I encourage you to go for it. NTFS is SOoooo much better than FAT32, believe me you'll like the change.

By they way, their "warnnig" saying that once you convert the drive to NTFS you can't go back: That, as Col. Potter used to say, is Horse Hockey. Any drive can be converted to and file system at any time if you don't mind blanking it in the process. :smile:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
i have xp home on a 2 gig machine with fat 32 ...and a 2 gig with xp pro using ntsf...both with the same ram.

i cant tell the difference..

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

This is another of those six of one, half a dozen of the other issues. If the machine is performing adequately, then under normal operations, you simply will not see a difference between the two.

However, the need to keep up with current thought is important, so on my personal machines, I just go with the NTSF. I have used the Fat32 on a WinXP machine and just don't see any difference in the way the machine handles the required operations.

My recommendation is that with WinXP as a recommendation for the format, then just go with NTSF and of course with Win98, then you MUST go with the Fat32 format.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Tried both under XP and seems that NTFS does not fragment as quickly as FAT32. Other than that I can't tell the difference.

JF

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
whosdat said:
i have xp home on a 2 gig machine with fat 32 ...and a 2 gig with xp pro using ntsf...both with the same ram.

i cant tell the difference..
NTFS is more robust, for one thing. There's a lot of XP apps that have features that will only work with an NTFS volume. Well, one of those apps is checkdisk. You know, the one that checks to see if your hard drive is in good working order when you boot your system? Yeah, that one.
Then there's XP's background defraging that can only function if the drive is formated with NTFS. Not available for you if the C: drive is FAT32. No way, no how: Can't be done.
Then there's the indexing service, which relies on the advaced functions that NTFS offers. (Well, advanced compared to FAT32, anyways.) IF you never use the indexing service, then you don't care. If you ever want to use it, though, then you'd better have an NTFS volume. The indexing service is next to useless without an NTFS volume.

In short, there's a reason why Microsoft doesn't recomend that you format your hard drive to FAT32, and that reason is reliability.
NTFS = more reiable
FAT32 = less reliable
FAT16 = dinosaur

now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go pay the rent. :cool:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
checkdisk only works on ntfs?

then i wonder what checkdisk program i was always running before i decided to go to ntfs...

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
WaltSide said:
checkdisk only works on ntfs?

then i wonder what checkdisk program i was always running before i decided to go to ntfs...
:sigh:
Try reading what I actualy wrote before you go putting words in my mouth, please. I didn't say that Checkdisk doesn't work on FAT32 volumes, I said that some of it's FEATURES only work on NTFS volumes.

Seems you missed a word, eh? Next time, Waltside, quote your sources instead of relying on what you thought you read.
Have a nice day.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well, since you seem to want to be hostile towards me for no reason, i'll simply refrain from responding to any of your posts in the future.

(i've learned to expect certain types of behavior from certain types of people, and i like to avoid conflict.)

it's normal to make a mistake, and i always am willing to admit it...

also, if you notice the context of what i said, i was ASKING a question.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Rashiki, to make a very long story short, it would be in your best interest to use NTFS when working with Windows XP. The pros outweigh the cons when compared to FAT32. Here is another comparison chart...

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

FAT32/16 volumes are not without their usefulness. Anyone running alternative operating systems such as Linux can tell you that Fat32 is the filesystem of choice for sharing files. It's pretty much supported (read + write support) everywhere, unlike NTFS.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Thanks to those who replied.

I've read the articles and looked at the tables, and i've chosen to keep my current hard drive FAT32, but change my X64 drive to NTFS. I've had good luck with the FAT32 before on XP Pro, and since it's already set up and doin' it's thing, i'll let it go until i switch back to X64.

Thank you,
Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.